worried about possible hibernation!?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torsornin

I check 'Tater twice a day - and lately have been getting a little concerned - she has not been as active lately - nor eating as much as she used to - although she seems in good health - eyes bright etc not loosing weight

I did move to a new place and my room does not get a ton of light - although it is unbearably warm for me (no doubt a good temp for her as it is always near 80F

Well I was sleepless tonight and I went to do a round and check on the horses outside - then I went to check on 'Tater Well she wasnt up playing or rooting around - I thought that a bit odd and I tried to disturb her - no hissing - well I started to worry - so I took her little box off of her and picked her up - she was breathing and everything but really reluctant to unroll (unusual for her) When she (barely) did her little belly and feet were cold!

Of course I rather panic

So I took her in the warmest room in my house (my bathroom which I swear is a hundred degrees lol) and sit her on her little blanket and watch her for a few minutes - she unrolled but seemed to be shivering and wobbly

Sounding more like hibernation :(

So I cuddle her some more next to my skin change out her box so I can double make sure if she goes to the bathroom by morning (it is 4am at this point) and put my heating pad in there - I keep checking the heating pad temp - I am worried it will get to warm and she will be too wobbly to walk away from it. It seems pleasantly toasty to me but not hot - just warm.

I never set up a heating system in her cage because the room was so warm and I didnt want to risk getting her over heated - and till this last I dunno - week or so [though she has seemed less active lately - since the time change or so - but this was my first winter with her - I thought it might be normal for her to be less active (though not INactive of course)] - Sounds like not enough light from my frantic reading.

of course this will warrant a call to the vet and a possible visit (her vet doesnt specialize in hedgies though - but is the nearest and only vet I can find in the area to see her OF course this also had to happen (or be discovered) in the middle of the night on a sunday too!!!

That and I am exhausted - we got 2' of snow here - and we rarely get more than a few inches at a time and I have been out slogging through thigh deep snow checking on a herd of 60 horses all day yesterday - I couldnt sleep for worry that they were to cold/wet etc and this is why I discovered poor 'Tater

*worries more*

The roads are also wretched and I may not be able to get her to the vet until monday -giving the road crew more time to clear out the roads (of course I also live way out in the country!)

Any hints or help to tide us over

*worried*

If her cage is near 80F all the time, it is probably not a heat related issue but it could be a draft. Even a warm draft can bother them so make sure there is no air movement near her cage. Does her cage drop in temperature. For some, a sudden drop can trigger a hibernation attempt even if the drop does not go down to lower temperatures. In the past I've had a couple that would try hibernating in the middle of the summer when their room dropped from mid 80's down to 80F.

Lighting is important and some are more light sensitive than others. Leave a light on beside her cage from 7ish am to 9ish pm and see if that helps.

How old is she? Often as they age, they become more temperature/light/draft sensitive.

Is your thermometer accurate? Try getting a new one and use both. I've had thermometers suddenly start to not read properly.

Keep a count of her kibble for the next while just to know how much she is eating.

Hibernation attempts can also indicate an illness so if you try my suggestions over the next couple of days and she doesn't improve, then yes a vet visit is in order.

Good luck

she is omly a year old :( I think it might defiantly be the light issue - but will check temp again.

My rooms are right beside the boiler - so it is ungodly hot for me (who loves the cold) but should be perfect for her...

My poor Tot

Most of the time the start of hibernation comes on more as they age but I've had a couple that started having temperature issues under a year. Try the light first. :thumbsup:

She needs warming up, if there is a draft what i do is put rice in some of my socks and heat it up for 30 seconds in the microwave and put the socks around her. it usually works for me.

Back