Worried about kits

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furrylovables

Someone I know got into breeding and I'm worried about her babies. She bought a pair of chins from Michigan and Illinois without having backgrounds. The kits I'm worried about lost their mother last week, they are only 4 weeks old. She says they are eating fine on their own, and she doesn't have a scale to weigh them. I told her she needs to start supplementing and I also gave her the recipe of the supplement. I told her she needs to come hear and educate herself a little more. I have no problem with helping her along the way, but I don't think she's listening. I told her before she starts breeding to have a chin as a pet first, but instead she bought breeding pairs without knowing ages or their lineage. Her chins are kinda on the wild side, and they are not tamed. She is selling her babies at outrageous prices because she says needs the money. I remember talking to her a few months ago and her cages aren't baby safe and she's lost a few on the way.

Unfortunately, even if your friend did come here, it doesn't sound like we could do much good. She is obviously less concerned with the welfare of her animals than she is with her own pocketbook. It's a shame that her animals have to suffer for her indifference.

As for the kits, four weeks old is very young for weaning, and they could benefit from a supplement of goat's milk. However, it is not absolutely necessary. At four weeks old, kits are getting a large percentage of their nutrition from solid food. As long as they continue to gain weight, they should be ok. You might want to buy her a kitchen scale to encourage her to weigh them. Of course, this is also assuming she is feeding them quality food, which might be a very big assumption.

Wow, unfortuanalty if she doesn't want to learn she will not learn. All you can do is try to explain things and get her to research more.

Latest posts

Back