Work Rant

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheena lee

I used to looove my job. I loved the people I worked with and I loved my bosses - I was eager to please them and motivated to do a good job.

But I work for student government, the bosses are elected each year. So in June, we got all new bosses who didn't really know what they were doing. We understood, tried to be helpful. But now it's mid-September, they STILL don't know what they're doing... We stopped being helpful, they were making our jobs impossible to do effectively and basically have just wasted hours of our time with useless BS, disorganization and incompetence.

It all came to a head on Wednesday - things got so bad that we [the designers, there is - WAS - two of us] were prepared to walk out. We spoke to some people yesterday and decided we would try to stick it out. But then this morning, as I'm leaving for work, I'm informed that she (we'll call her B) has been fired. We're unionized, so this shouldn't be allowed, but... We need a thing called Work Study in order to work there. Full time students get Work Study authorization. I graduated, B is a part time student, and none of the other PT employees have work study.. so they should be firing ALL of us. I'm the only one with an official exception to the work study because they allow 3 exceptions by seniority, and I have seniority.

Long story short, they CAN fire her with this loophole, but they can also choose not to... They're choosing to let most of us go - but not all of us - I guess that would be too disastrous. They can't operate without employees.

Another PT-er resigned this week because she was being fired, and now the only people left there are people I don't care for and don't trust. I have NO allies, and I'm going to be doing the work of 2 designers now that they've let one go. Already I don't want to please them, they treat me like I'm on call when I'm not, and I shouldn't be contacted outside of my work hours. I get phone calls and texts at 8:45am when I only work at 1pm, from panicked disorganized people who don't do their job so I can't do mine...

UGH I HATE my job and I want to just walk out. But I have bills, so.... UGH.

Sounds like it is time to hit the pavement and start looking for another job!
http://www.indeed.ca/ I used the US version of this site when I was looking, awesome that they made one for Canada too.

Good luck!

I've been looking on and off recently, gone to a few interviews but nothing has panned out so far. Now I'm starting to really apply at as many places as I can. It's just sad that graphic design jobs are hard to come by, and the field is sooo competitive. I sort of want to move to Toronto (where the job market is booming), but my bf doesn't.

Thanks for the website - I already see a few I'm going to apply for! I've been mainly looking on Linked In, but the jobs posted there in my field are few and sometimes far between.

If you pick up another skill like autocad, any of the web languages or interior design you will quadruple the number of places you can apply to and jobs you'd be good in. Just doing strait graphics is a limited area, but even my company (engineering) would take anyone that knew their way around autocad and train them, with the graphics design being secondary but still used. Likely you would beat out a more experienced autocad person just because we also have need of graphic design. Granted, we've never posted a job for either - but if your resume came across the boss's desk you'd definitely get a call.

So send your resume to companies you might not have otherwise thought - IT companies, big businesses, etc.

:))

Back