Woodland Getaway

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinsmom

I had seen a post warning about the Woodland Getaway house for chins warning about the use of metal in their construction, I think it was on chinsnfriends. The posst was warning about the use of the metal and the fact that your chin could possibly damage their teeth by chewing on the house and running into one of the nails.
Well, I had one in my little boy's cage, so I inspected it as soon as I read the post. I was totally mortified - not only was this house nailed together, but they also used metal brads in the corners. Of course, Chinzilla chewed on it (what DOESN'T he chew on???), and I could see where he has come close to the nails, and has actually bitten into one of the brads. I checked his teeth - luckily no damage there, but this house is history!!! I went on Superpet's website hopiung to "inform" them about the danger the construction of this house presents, but I found that they are now advertising the Woodland Getaway as being constructed without any metal - now they use "wooden peg construction" IDK, seems to me they should have done it that way to begin with. Needless to say, Chinzilla will not be taking anymore woodeland getaways(um,,,yeah, I trust 'em:crazy:), I have a new Chinchilla Manor Daybed on order from Simply Chintastic. I can't wait to get it!!!!!:party:

Attachments

• P1010001_02.jpg
    P1010001_02.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 36
  • P1010002_02.jpg
    P1010002_02.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 32
  • P1010004_02.jpg
    P1010004_02.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 36
  • P1010005_02.jpg
    P1010005_02.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 31
  • P1010009_02.jpg
    P1010009_02.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 29
I know most people just yank the brads or nails when they see the chin is getting close to them. But, I agree stick with LinDan (simply chintastic) or one of the other sites that could use the business! :D

How old is your Woodland Getaway? I know I got mine in December and the little paper attached to it said 'no metal' or something on it. I have also read the warnings of metal but I figured it was outdated now that they changed it maybe..? My boys that have the woodland getaway don't chew it as much as my other 2 and haven't noticed anything but I usually inspect it whenever I take it out to clean the cage and fleece.

Honestly, I couldn't tell you, I bought it when I got my littly guy - about 6 months ago. There's no telling how long it had been on the shelf prior to that though. I only posted this as a heads up - I was surprised that a company that makes things for animals known to be chewers would use metal in products for them. I'm kinda gullible that way, but I'm working on it. I'm not saying that they haven't changed the construction, but I do become leery when I see something like this. It was not noticable when I bought it, only after he chewed it for a while.

I tried to edit the previous post, but apparentlly waited too long. I also wanted to say that also agree with Inked Up Tara, and I pretty much deal exclusively with some of the sites I've found here and some other forums, most of which also list the same ones. As previously stated, I have a new house on order from Simply Chintastic, but I also have a suspension bridge on order from Ashley - I can't wait to get them because I know the quality will be the absolute highest. I have great faith in their standards and have as of yet to be disappointed. It would be in all of our best interests to support them as well.

While I do order the majority of my chin stuff from people on here, I do sometimes buy from the pet stores and I can honestly say that the Woodland Getaway has been changed, and no longer includes the metal brads or nails. But I also love getting packages in the mail and love knowing I am supporting the rescues, so I will continue to order from those and only use the pet stores as emergency back ups.

Latest posts

Back