Wood.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that they are not supposed to be eating the wood as it could cause impaction? I might be wrong but I remember reading that on here somewhere. I am pretty sure mine just chew it

Mine eat the outer layers and then work on shredding the inner part. They actually prefer small pieces for that reason. They can shred them all up easily after eating the bark. The big pieces they tend to only casually chew on after they eat the bark off. They go nuts for a little twig though.

Mine will eat the bark then shred the rest of the stick into little pieces. She'll also eat tiny thin sticks whole- I've never thought anything about her doing this, since I would imagine that they occasionally eat some of it anyway either on purpose or while shredding the wood.

My chin ate EVERYTHING until about a month ago, he's only just matured into shredding this as opposed to eating them. Still, he is a chronic nibbler and wants to eat my base boards and the grout out of my tiles - needless to say, I watch him like a hawk if he's out and stop him before he even starts nibbling something he's not meant to. I'm not bothered about ruining my stuff, I just don't want him to digest something bad for him.

Back