wood question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kendra

I noticed that blackberry vine was safe and was wondering if raspberry vine was ok too. Thank you!

I do blackberry wood all the time- two of my chins love it and the third looks at me like Im stupid that I forgot to give him his grapevine. I've tried to look up both black and red raspberry before and have never found it as a safe wood. If I remmebr right some related plants were ok and some weren't. I dont remember the details of that, but recently I've come across people giving red raspberry leaves as treats.
Personally, I dont chance things with my chins. I make sure multipul trustworthy people have used stuff for a long time before it comes near my chins. So I wouldnt and havent done raspberry because theres no info on it really.
Also- the thorns are a pain in the butt. I recommend thick gloves and thicker pants if your going out in a big patch- although I dont listen to myself. I have acres of blackberry I go out in in thick pants and old boots, but I go glove-less. I feel they inhibit my hand's dexterity and end up getting myself poked more. After removing the thorns on blackberry it cooks mostly the same as every other wood, but like grapevine it dries out a LOT lighter. I didnt think about when I first started but duh- vines dry lighter than sticks. Thats why I sell by boxes instead of ounces normally (and I can picture volume better than weight).
Good luck finding info on raspberry and I'm happy to answer any questions on doing blackberry/ other sticks.

Latest posts

Back