Wood Ledges/Wood Chews

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkpiggy1989

'No they're not bunnies'
I recently started working at a store that sells lumber and I'm planning on getting some for my chins to make ledges, houses, etc. We have dried pine, and its not treated in any way. With the cost of what I would pay, I could make 10 ledges, for the price I would pay to buy one.

Now, I know I can use these to make houses and ledges, but could I cute 2x4's into small, golfball size squares and use them as wood chews? Would I need to sand them or anything like that?

you can definitely cut small pieces of kiln dried pine to make chews, hanging toys, and such. you could sand them down if you want, but once your chins start chewing, they're going to get 'un sanded' pretty quickly, lol!

Yep I agree with Chinnymom. People make ledges, bridge parts and toy parts out of kd pine so why not golf ball sized toys :D!

Maybe you could make some ledges and sell them for super duper cheap on here since you will pay less for the supplies than most people ;)

Not sure if your store sells poplar, but it is about the same price as pine and gives a little variety. Idgie loves it.

I use the left overs when making houses, shelves etc into toys, and just drill holes and string them up for the chins, and my parrots to chew on. I'm a little old school though, and learned from my Great Grandma recycle recycle, and don't waste! :)

Latest posts

Back