wont let me pick him up :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faithkassidy

My cousin had a chinchilla for about 2 years and she couldnt keep him anymore so she gave him to me. I have all of hia necessities and Ive had him for about 2 weeks. Ive been very patient with him, and I do let him run around a room with me in it for an hour a day until I have my own room at my house I just moved into with my dad, then he can run around my room as much as I can let him out. But, he lets me pet him from inside his cage and he makes little noises at me but no matter what I do, any time I try to pick him up he runs away and freaks out bouncing off his cage walls and doesnt let me..which makes it hard for me to get him back into his cage after he plays. :( He has a one level cage at the moment until I can afford to get him better stuff. But he has chew sticks and a nesting box, I want to get him a wheel but expensive. Anyway idk Im scared he will never let me pick him up.

He just isn't comfortable much with you my Chinchilla only recently stopped doing that to me i've had her for a few months going to a new home is stressful since he likely created a bond with your cousin he thought of her as mama now mama is gone. He is probably stressed out what types of treats do you have? hold one treat over your hand to entice him onto your hand it'll get easier and if you give him lots of cage loves like scratches under his chin/ his chest he'll love it thats how i got my Luna to warm up to me.

some chins dont like being picked up at all. My oldest guy, the friendliest of all 5 of my chins, has a pathological fear of being picked up no matter what.

But you are still new to the chin. They can need a lot of time to adjust to new ppl and new surroundings. How is he when he is out? Some chins that arnt adjusted only get scared when they are let out.

I agree with everyone else. One of my chins doesn't like being picked up at all, she's super skiddish. He might not like being picked up ever, you have to remember, chins are cute and all but they aren't exactly cuddly babies.

As for getting him back into his cage after playtime, we use the dust bath trick. Place the dust bath in the area & once he jumps in cover the hole with your hand and carry him back to the cage. Idk if you should do this every day but it'll help a couple times! :)

my Gizmo was 6 years old when i got her, it took a few months for her to warm up to me. what i did was everyday i went in my room where she is and just talked like i was talking to a person while i cleaned or did whatever, and did a lot of talking right next to her cage, that seems to work, i guess she got used to my voice, now all i have to do is say "want to come out?" and she is ready and waiting before i even get to her cage, but the do take a LOT of patience, but it is well worth it

My boy likes me fine but is picky about where he likes to be petted and HATES to be picked up. I've had him since October. Some of them just don't like to be picked up. He may get used to it, he may not.

I cant pick either of mine up, one I have had for a few months, one for two years. Some of them just dont like it. They are not usually cuddly animals. Two weeks is still VERY new to the new home. Give it some more time.

Whether or not the chinchilla likes being picked up, all chinchillas should be picked up and handled daily. The need to learn to tolerate it. If you had an emergency you would need to be able to reach in and get the chinchilla in seconds. This cannot happen if you rarely pick the chinchilla up. Just reaching in and picking them up will NOT traumatize a chinchilla and does not destroy their trust in you.

Like others have said- it takes time. My little guy is very susceptible to bribes though. There's plenty of threads on here about treats, but organic cherios, rolled oats, shredded wheat, and rose hips are good ones, but dont give much or too frequently. During playtime just sit near him and offer a part of a treat when he come near. Then gradually make him come closer and closer for the treat. My chin was happier being the one to decide when contact happened at first. But still, some holding everyday is good in case of emergencies as mentioned above. Make sure your picking your chin up properly. They're delicate boned, so scoop him up with a hand on each side rather than grabbing and squeezing. Also, chins like to be higher, so if the cage can be placed at a higher level and you can be next to him, but with him having the higher vantage point he'll feel safer. You wont be as big and scary.
When I got my first chin, I had the first few days off, so the whole day for a few days I just sat next to his cage and read, staying quiet and still, but close enough to investigate. If he's ok with you through bars, it may be that the bars make him feel safe. Try chilling next to him with the door open so he can get used to you that way (or again, during playtime)
[also, apologies for using he in case your chin is a she. I'm just used to my boy.]

Back