Wire

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

whiskers387

Do they sell thick wire like for toys at Lowes or Home Depot?

Also i was thinking of trying to make one of the bridges that someone on here makes for myself since she isn't making them right now, do you just tie knots on the end so the wood doesnt slip off?

good luck, you are braver than I am, I would never try and build a bridge. I think I would end up with a missing finger and my toes glued together :D

Haha yea ive done alot with power tools so im not bad with them, im trying to make more fun stuff for the cages

Best place I've found wire is TSC - its the wire made for electric fence. It comes in different thicknesses, and its sold by the foot, or by the spool (in HUGE lengths that would last most pet owners an eternity). Snap links can be found on Ebay from bird toy suppliers.
~Barb~

I just found a roll in the garage, 16 guage, marked COPPER FLASHING WIRE, and it appears to be zinc coated as it's silver, made by Western Electric. Really don't know where it came from, but it'll work!

Best place I've found wire is TSC - its the wire made for electric fence. It comes in different thicknesses, and its sold by the foot, or by the spool (in HUGE lengths that would last most pet owners an eternity). Snap links can be found on Ebay from bird toy suppliers.
~Barb~

It does come in different thicknesses.

Barb, why didn't you tell me this? There a spool of electric fencing in the feed house from when dad and grandpa put up the electric fence around back. Man, I wish I knew this soon. This could be fun...tehehe. Just got to convince him to let me have it.

If your chins are chewers tho - be careful of using copper. If its very thickly plated, I would assume it'd be alright, but if its just a thin coating, it wouldnt take much to chew into it.

Electric fence wiring is solid, no copper to it at all. Just thought I'd mention that :)
Bonnie - sorry I didnt even think about it! You're right tho, I shoulda mentioned it ages ago :p
~Barb~

Brass, copper, aluminum, lead and zinc are considered 'toxic' metals.

So Rickman, if I were you I wouldn't use that, because both metals you mentioned aren't considered safe.

What about galvanized wire? Isn't that just a chemical treatment to prevent rust? I've seen Galvanized steel cages, and Bass Pans are galvanized steel. I believe I saw rolls of the galvanized steel wire at Lowes, but can't remember if it was braided or not.

Ok so I looked at their web site. They do have galvanized steel wire but one of the pictures of the 16 gage looks to have a warning label on it maybe indicating the presence of lead?

Galvanization is a coating of zinc to metal. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-galvanized-metal.htm

Humm, if zinc is toxic to Chinny's maybe we souldn't be using the Bass pans either.

No they aren't eating the pans and hopefully not the wires used in toys, but should we worry?

If you want to avoid those toxics then maybe there's stainless steel wire around somewhere. Probably have to order it online or find a metal yard, perhaps a welding supply store.

Stainless steel will be very very expensive. Bass sells wire but it is GBW. You want GAW. It will last longer. They, I believe, also make their cages of GBW.

Jessica

I use electric fencing wire. It's pretty thick though I really don't know the gauge. I have to use pliers to bend the ends into loops. If wire gauge is the same as needle gauge, I'd guess at 16 or 14 gauge.

Electric fence wiring is solid, no copper to it at all. Just thought I'd mention that :)
Bonnie - sorry I didnt even think about it! You're right tho, I shoulda mentioned it ages ago :p
~Barb~

As soon as I order some toy parts I'm going to use what daddy has to make the chins toys. Easier than buying chain and wire offline lol
It's not like he's using it.

Latest posts

Back