Wire Ramps??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

catfairy120

I was looking at cages, and i was wondering if it was okay to use wire ramps.

Wire ramps are unnecessary and can actually be quite dangerous. It is not unheard of for chins to get their legs caught between the wires and by struggling, end up with a broken leg. I do not use them nor would I recommend them. Chins are also jumpers- they usually do not use ramps and do not need them to get around, because they can bounce from ledge to ledge.

As Stacie said, they really don't need ramps if you add shelves - they much prefer to jump. If you do use ramps, make sure they are wired in both directions - not the kind that resemble ladders - and that the spacing is no more than 1/2" x 1/2". One of our boys ended up getting caught in one of the rung-like ladders when we were first starting out - not good.

ETA - just noticed your last post. That is actually an excellent cage, many members (including ourselves) have that for their chins and love it. The ramps are completely removable, and you can easily add wooden shelves to the cage.

so would i be able to take the ramps out of that cage???

As everyone has said, the Ferret Nation is a great cage and I have all of my chinchillas in Ferret Nations. They are easily modified to be chin safe :)

also, in most of the pictures people are using blankets instead of using beading.

If a chin would need a ramp- for whatever reason- it can be backed with wood for in cage use or cardboard for cage access use. The FN shelves (without the plastic) can be covered nicely by 2 pieces of 1x12, each 17" long. Secure with 1/2" screws and fender washers from the bottom.

in most of the pictures people use blankets instead of bedding....why????

in most of the pictures people use blankets instead of bedding....why????

It's fleece made into liners. It's easier to clean up than bedding... you just pull it out every couple of days and throw it in the washer. I have 3 sets of fleece liners that i rotate throughout the week. In between washing I just use a little dust vac to remove the poos.

where do you get fleece liners????

I make my own but there are people around here that sell them. Check out the Classifieds board. If you know how to sew it's not difficult to make them at all. I just use two pieces of fleece sewn together. Make sure you wash them first (for that initial shrinkage) and I make mine a little bit bigger than the actual measurements because they seem to shrink over time.

I know it's been covered already but NO to wire ramps. The two years that I have been on chinchilla forums I swear I have come across at least half a dozen leg injuries and out of them two people had to put their chins down b/c they could not afford the $900 vet bill to have their leg amputated.

When I first began with chins, and didn't belong to any forum, I became a little paronoid about the ramps! I covered them with 1/4 x 1/4 hardware cloth, [big enough for tic - tacs to pass] and never had a problem! Not even toes! Have lasted 10 years now!

Latest posts

Back