Winter reminder...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Bag Balm in the green tin contains 8-hydroxyquinoline sulfate, which is the antispetic. I have researched it in the past, and there is conflicting information on it. I always make sure to rub it in really well and hold them for a couple minutes after I put it on.

Thanks for bringing this up! I will have to look at my chin's feet. I did notice a little bit of a dry area a couple days ago. I will get some bag balm and apply it to their feetsies. I just wonder how Chichi is gonna put up with that.. she might get cranky. LOL.

There's no need to use it unless they have dry feet. Too wet feet is just as bad as too dry feet IMO. If I see dry feet, I put it on. If not, I leave them alone.

I've yet to see a chin chew on it's feet after I put bag balm on them. You rub it in, just like you would hand lotion, and they are too busy running around spazzing because you touched their feet to worry about licking their feet. In fact, in general, I think I can count a handful of times I've noticed my chin licking their feet back feet period.

Tis the season again... Friendly reminder to stock up on bagbalm, and keep an eye on those feet! :)

This year I have been using 100% coconut oil on ears. I dont have a problem with feet yet, they are on fleece. They dont like the way the oil feels on the ears but its one of the gentlest ones I can use for them. I get it from the cooking aisle in a big jar for 5$. I use it for my face lotion and hot oil treatment as well.

It is also antifungal preventative

I have some badger balm. There are several ingredients to it (EV olive oil, beeswax, castor oil, aloe vera extract and essential oils of wintergreen and sweet birch)--was just wondering if that was ok to use or not.

I love badger balm! I use it everyday and I love that it is all natural, no weird chemicals, and no animal byproducts. I think if my chins had dry feet, I wouldnt hesitate to use it on them. Makes more sense to me than a petroleum process byproduct, mixed with sheep grease, and a sulfuric antiseptic. But that's just me.

This is the first winter the chins will be in their current room. The room they are in actually have their own control system when it comes to heat and uses a window ac. My big question is the humidifier. The room is huge so I'll put the humidifier in the other side of the room. Any additional suggestions? I'll be using a cool mist humidifier. Right now their room is at 43 for humidity.

This is the first winter the chins will be in their current room. The room they are in actually have their own control system when it comes to heat and uses a window ac. My big question is the humidifier. The room is huge so I'll put the humidifier in the other side of the room. Any additional suggestions? I'll be using a cool mist humidifier. Right now their room is at 43 for humidity.

As with any season just continue to monitor temperature and humidity. I check feet once a week or so. If they look cracked or dry I put a little bag balm on. I usually only need to do it a few times a year. Like Peggy said too soft of feet can also be an issue.

Front feet?

I keep seeing everyone talking about dry back feet, but Mischki's front feet are dry. Also, her left front foot is red, sort of chafed looking on the top, and she holds it up most of the time. I'm going to buy bag balm today, but is it okay to use on her front feet, or should I use something else? Also, what should I do about the chafing, just use bag balm? I can post pictures this afternoon if needed, but right now she's sleeping, and I don't want to wake her up.

Here's some pictures of her foot

Her left front foot is red in two patches on the top. All I can guess is that her foot is itching or hurting from being dry and she started biting it. The two patches are missing fur and red. They look like they're chafed or scraped. There is no blood, and she's not losing fur or having issues otherwise. I have Bag Balm and antibiotic cream, but which should I use on that foot? Please help! :wacko:

Attachments

• DSCN6364.jpg
    DSCN6364.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN6365.jpg
    DSCN6365.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN6368.jpg
    DSCN6368.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 43
I think you are dealing with bumblefoot, and the chin needs to see the vet for antibiotics. Stackie on here has had a bit of experience with this. Hopefully she sees this thread. If not I would send her a PM for further advice.

I'm under the impression that the sooner you take her in, the easier it is to treat.

Thanks Momenteller. I also posted this in "Chin Emergencies" because I wasn't sure if anyone would notice it here.

She doesn't have any sores or problems with the bottom of her foot that I can tell, just the top where it's red and she's chewed the fur off and biting the skin. I cleaned her cage and put fleece liners in, and checked her feet. They don't seem that dry at the moment.

The closest vet is an hour away, so I'm probably going to have to wait until Saturday to take her in, because I would need to skip school (college) to take her before then. Also, the weather is really crappy at the moment, so I'm afraid of driving that far today. :/

I posted in your other thread also.

I don't have any experience with this, but I am commenting because I know you're worried! Since there isn't redness on the bottom of the foot, I don't know if that's bumblefoot, and I would think the chin would be okay until the vet appointment on Saturday. Hopefully Claire D or someone else experienced checks in to advise you how to treat it in the meantime. Please keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back