Wine toys

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyperzuzik

Hi everyone! I found very pretty toys made of wine. I was curious that from what part of the wine plant can be used for chin toys... a friend has a wine pland and I would like to make some toys...

I looked up wine plant, and it is apparently another name for rhubarb, in which case no part is chin safe. The leaves have poison in them and the stalks (the only edible part) I would assume fits in the vegetable category, which chins shouldn't have. Rhubarb also has natural laxative abilities to it, so that could get dangerous quickly with a chin.

grapevine is safe, you use the vine of it. Look up how to process wood for chinchillas and then look at this response I just finished writing about grapevine particulars http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?p=409427#post409427
You have to make sure the plant has never been sprayed with pesticides or treated with chemicals because they can sink into the wood and stay and will be toxic to your chin.

I haven't made wreaths or toys out of grapevine before, I just process it as sticks. But grapevine doesn't stay viney and bendy through the process of boiling/baking. It gets rigid a while after being cut, so i would make sure to at the very least coil up the amount you want to work with so it will fit in a pot without being cut. I don't know if before boiling is when you want to do all the shaping- it will probably loose at least some shape when being boiled and will still be slightly bendy before it air drys, but you'd have to shape it quickly.

Latest posts

Back