Will she forgive me?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aridan

So I just spent half an hour wrangling an escaped chin. I just looked away for a moment, and poof, she was gone. She was in an enclosed room, so thank goodness for that. She went underneath a wooden dresser, which is adjacent to another wooden dresser, and would not budge as much as I coaxed with a dust bath or sticks or an oat. So I blocked off some escape routes, so she could only stay under the one dresser. She started making noises I hadn't heard before, not sure if they were barking or warning calls. I assume she wasn't happy to have only one route out from under the dresser.

But resourceful chin that she is, she wedged herself against the wall and a bed frame and tried to scale her way up the wall to freedom. This did not work out so well for her. I moved the dresser, and I see her there, halfway up the wall, her fur sticking through the gaps in the mattress frame, her little ears close to her head. So I was able to pull the wire frame away from her body enough, that she was able to crawl down the wall, and once out I caught her by the tail and placed her back in her cage.

I felt bad for her, as I didn't want her traumatized, or to set us back from bonding. She sat on her ledge looking glum. She refused to take a hay cube from me, which she normally loves. I hope she won't hold this against me too much! I'm just glad she's safely back in her cage, and I've learned to be more watchful!

Geez! What a fiasco! Glad she was okay though! Chins are smart, I am not surprised she was able to come out with another route to escape lol. I think she will forgive you in time, maybe sooner than you think. Just be patient and she will come around!

So I just spent half an hour wrangling an escaped chin. I just looked away for a moment, and poof, she was gone. She was in an enclosed room, so thank goodness for that. She went underneath a wooden dresser, which is adjacent to another wooden dresser, and would not budge as much as I coaxed with a dust bath or sticks or an oat. So I blocked off some escape routes, so she could only stay under the one dresser. She started making noises I hadn't heard before, not sure if they were barking or warning calls. I assume she wasn't happy to have only one route out from under the dresser.

But resourceful chin that she is, she wedged herself against the wall and a bed frame and tried to scale her way up the wall to freedom. This did not work out so well for her. I moved the dresser, and I see her there, halfway up the wall, her fur sticking through the gaps in the mattress frame, her little ears close to her head. So I was able to pull the wire frame away from her body enough, that she was able to crawl down the wall, and once out I caught her by the tail and placed her back in her cage.

I felt bad for her, as I didn't want her traumatized, or to set us back from bonding. She sat on her ledge looking glum. She refused to take a hay cube from me, which she normally loves. I hope she won't hold this against me too much! I'm just glad she's safely back in her cage, and I've learned to be more watchful!

Yes! She will forgive you! trust me, I went through this many times with my Chin, and still do, because he loves to run under the couches. He even did this the very first couple times we let him out, and we had to catch him, and he still loves us. So I know she will forgive you :)

Thanks for the feedback, I knew the people on here would understand! I'm glad she's safe and sound, so it's ok if she sulks for a while, lol.

Chichi escaped from her playpen the other day (I didn't close it up all the way. lol) I let her run around for a little bit, but then I had to get her. My boyfriend and I cornered her in the bathroom and she had nowhere to go. She started making these little grunting noises. It was like she was saying, "oh no! I'm caught!"... It was so cute!!!

Give her half an hour and try the hay cube or a treat again, she'll probably come around. I'm sure this has happened at least once to most chin owners. They get over it and try to escape again lol :)

I agree she is tending toward the smart rather than the sweet, lol!

Oh I have no doubt about the furniture or heavy stuff, but since she was wedged against the wall and bed frame, and was stuck there, there was no danger to sliding the dresser out. I did take that into consideration, as I know how fragile she is, but thanks for the reminder!

If grabbing chins by the tail traumatized them, my chins would all hate me. They don't. They come to the front of the cage and beg for attention and kisses. It is a fallacy that grabbing a chin will make it hate you.

Thanks, Cuddlebug, I've been trying to get her used to having her tail touched and she's done well with it.

Mine have escaped a few times. Usually a dust bath will do the trick... but I think they've figured it out. I've had to corner them as well. They don't like it and they want to pout, but it's never taken longer than a few hours for them to come around and forgive.

Yes, I find it weird that she doesn't seem to be as motivated by her dust bath as some seem to be. She'll take it if it's there, but she isn't bribed by it at all. Too many smarts in that little brain. Now that she's had a taste of freedom, she spends her time testing the weaknesses of the playpen perimeter. She tries to dig under it in the corner, and latches her teeth on the bars and pulls with all her might, until her bottom and tail fly up with the effort. I see I'm going to have my hands full! Good news is that she seems to have forgiven me somewhat.

Hahaha, the dust bath bribe when they have escaped. Mine are so smart I have to put it down and wait until they've had a roll and know where it is. Then I have to cover it with fleece and leave a little "cave" for the entrance hole! Only then am I able to sneak up and capture them. lol

Henry managed to do that too, wedged himself between the wall and a bookcase. He kacked like crazy when I gently fished him out, soon got over the ordeal, though, think I was more shaken than he was. So I definitely know the feeling. Chins, eh?

The older she gets, the more of a handful she seems to be. She definitely is starting to think of herself as the boss, lol. It's nice to see her personality coming out, but I really hope she doesn't turn into a total terror!

Back