Will not stop biting/chewing my hair!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spooky

Every time I'm laying down where Fuzz can reach my head, he always jumps on my shoulders and starts to chew my hair. I immediately brush him off, but he'll come back and the more I brush him away, the angrier he'll get. At one point he started pretty much attacking me because I kept shooing him.

Does anyone know how I can get him to stop doing this?

He's probably grooming you, and of course he's going to be mad; you chasing him off means you don't love him (in his little fuzzy butt mind). The simple solution is not letting him near your head/face, which is safer for you anyway. If something did happen to startle him, sharp chin nails and teeth next to your eyes and nose could be a bad thing.

Oh, that makes sense! Thank you! I'll have to scratch his chin extra long now to make sure he knows I still love him. :p
I'm covering my hair with a T-shirt now, and since my hair is hidden he has lost interest in scratching the back of my head, thank goodness.

This happens to me, also. I have short, super duper curly hair that he can't reach unless he's literally sitting on my shoulders/head. Once a straight-haired friend came over and he started chewing on her bangs..

Ever since then he loves chewing on my hair! I just wear a hat during playtime now.

Maybe instead of scratching his chin, let him nibble on your sleeve/hand/sock... something for him to groom. With family-oriented animals like chins, grooming is a mutual thing. It can also be dominance related, but he's probably trying to make sure you don't have mats or twigs stuck in your fur either, like you do for him. ;)

Latest posts

Back