WI vets?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2manypets

Gotta love chins
Any good exotic vets in the central WI area? I am about an hour from La Crosse and 1 1/2 hours from Madison.

I have a local vet who does occasional surgeries on my chins (amputees, etc), and she is the closest I can get to an exotic vet here. The clinic is Eau Claire Animal Hospital. The vet's name is Dr. Mathers (not sure if that spelling is correct), she can do basic stuff as far as surgeries on chins, but I know that I am her only chin customer (or at least was).

I have never met the man personally but he gave me some awesome help via e-mail when I had a very sick chinchilla. Without his advice, my chin probably would have died. Unfortunately, I live in Ohio but I was able to take his advice to a emergency vet here who followed his advice. Definitely worth a try.

Christoph Mans, med. vet.
Resident in Zoological Medicine
Special Species Health Service
School of Veterinary Medicine
University of Wisconsin
2015 Linden Drive
Madison, Wisconsin 53706

I would highly recommend Christoph Mans, DVM -
http://uwveterinarycare.wisc.edu/services/exotics.html

Out of the University of Wisconsin Madison Special Species. Dr. Mans has been a guest speaker at a few ECBC and MCBA meetings/seminars. I have attended a seminar in which he was a guest speaker and he is very well versed when it comes to chinchillas. He covered pretty much everything from disorders pertaining to eyes, feet, fur, gastrointestinal, reproductive and neurological as well as dental disease. He was very patient and thorough when I showed him the xrays of my chin, who at the time was going through the mid stages of malo.

Hi everyone, I'm a new chin owner and don't have a vet set up yet. I'm a student at UW-Madison and after seeing this post I'm really hoping to make Christopher Mans my go to chin vet. But I was just wondering, how do I go about making someone my vet? Do I need to go in for a visit to familiarize the vet with my chin or do I go in when I have an issue I'm concerned about and need a vet? Thank you, any response helps! :) Also, I know this is difficult to answer because it varies, but what is the average cost of a check-up style vet visit? (Just so I can be prepared, lol)

Mikaela: An appointment at the UW vet school is about $80 and $45 for each follow up (if needed). Some people have had trouble getting appointments with the special species department if they are new clients, but I'm not sure why. Dr. Mans is fantastic so I hope you can get in. He isn't on clinic duty every week, so ask for him specifically when you make the appointment.

Latest posts

Back