Why Fleece?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yaz

I am a former chin owner (last chin I had was about 4 years ago). Long story short, I inherited a momma (Katrina) and 7 week old baby (Seirra) from a friend, which turn out to be 3rd and 4th generations of my first chin. The best part is I even got my nice custom made cage back in the deal (free deal I might add). I've had both for about 2 weeks now and the transition has been very smooth.

I have been out of the "hobby" for a while, so I am wondering what all the talk about fleece is? I'd like to give the old cage a bit of a spruce up since it is almost 10 years old, but wanted to know more about fleece liners and if anyone can suggest someone who may be able to make them (custom sized) for my cage.

Do the chins avoid urinating on them? What about chewing? Do I need to get them pan trained first? I notice some people put them over shelves and perches too. I apologize in advance if there is a thread out there already. I did search but I couldn't find anything that answered my questions.

Thanks in advance everyone! Very happy to have my chin fix again!

Fleece is popular because it doesn't have regular thread like cotton, which means it won't block chinchillas digestive tract (in small doses, of course).

Fleece is popular because it doesn't have regular thread like cotton, which means it won't block chinchillas digestive tract (in small doses, of course).

It can still block the digestive tract, absolutely. We use fleece because it is harder to destroy for one, but if they begin chewing it, you need to take it out. The idea of threading is more of a concern of threads getting wrapped around paws and legs. Fleece comes apart in chunks (which *might* be harder to swallow, but if small enough they can) and if you notice them chewing it apart you need to remove it. They are usually deterred from chewing it due to it being hard to shred and many will leave it alone, but it can still happen and they are capable of doing it if they set their mind to it.

You can litter train some chins, but many will still go on the liners. Most people usually by a few liners and rotate them out every few days to wash the dirty ones in the laundry.

Check out our "Chin Supplies For Sale" section and the CnH vendor list- you will find many people who make fleece liners. I'm sure many of them will be happy to sew you a custom size as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back