Why bedding or liners??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theoretically, you could use them without bedding or liners but they will be a mess and hard to clean as urine and feces will squish together and get tracked everywhere. It will also stink. Bedding and liners allow for urine to initially be soaked up and then evaporate. They would also be very noisy.

urine would pool without something to absorb it and chins would get wet and stinky. yuck!

i used to use a superpet cage with a bare metal pan, no liner, but i did have a corner potty pan with shavings in there. worked well for keeping the cage clean, as my boys absolutely did not want to pee anywhere the urine would not be soaked up.

I imagine you could, but as other people stated, it would probably get stinky a lot quicker, not to mention, i can only imagine that chinnies would get urine and such on their fur a lot more since the urine would pool up and they'd be running through it.

When I only had bass pans while waiting for my fleece liners to arrive, I still wanted to put something on the bottom because whenever my chinchilla would jump onto the bare pan it seemed kinda dangerous and it was loud too. If you don't want to use fleece liners or bedding, you can also tile the bottom. I seen a video on youtube of a rabbit living on bare bass pans but for a chinchilla, I personally would put stuff on there.

I have bare shelves and floor in my cage, they are tile covered. They have a potty box that they use and I rarely find a pee accident, if I do I just wipe it up. No pee stained bums here. Pee box is in the lower left corner.

room5.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back