WHS? Video included

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace Kelly

my hedgie is 5 and a half years old (old, indeed, i know). he has been a good boy since i got him & had no health concerns, until now.

he is limping pretty badly, and this started 2-3 weeks ago and it is getting slightly worse. he still runs, eats, loves to play, is gaining some weight from his slowing down, and overall he looks great aside from this.
is this WHS? i dont know anything about WHS. could it be, given his age?

if so, what do i do?
if this gets seriously bad (like, he can't eat and move), i am going to have him euthanized for my peace of mind and to ease his suffering, so he can pass away peacefully knowing he is loved.
:(

i am so very sad. this is a very sad time for me. my sweet little baby. :(

video link:
http://tinypic.com/r/hwy59z/7

could this be a broken bone? his toenails are somewhat long but im not sure if cutting them will resolve the issue? help please!

Grace, has he been seen by a vet? To me he looks like he may be walking stiff legged. I'm wondering if your hedgehog has arthritis and if it is just now starting to really show up.

I give mine glucosamin/chondroitin from the time they are 3 to try to help with arthritis.

If you haven't take him in for a vet visit to be examined. Perhaps it is just age catching up with him. I don't know if a little pain medication would help or not, but it is something to ask your vet about.

Although WHS can strike at any age and there are many different initial symptoms, I agree with Julie that it looks more like stiff legs and arthritis. I also agree with a vet visit and starting glucosamin/chondroitin. :)

I would trust their advice. I've seen video and have done some research on initial stages of WHS, and this looks more like limping or something other than WHS.

Latest posts

Back