Who's Who...HELP

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynn7998

Hi Friends!

I am a new chin mommy (less than 24 hours in fact). I adopted my boys from a young lady who had a couple accidental babies...I have 4 new boys, 3, 9 months old, 1 about a year & half. They all look EXACTLY alike! I was hoping for some distinguishing features but theres not much! Not even an obvious diffrence in size. They are standards...Any thoughts or suggestions???:hmm:

Sophie_03_zps2ceca787.jpg

^Sophie

Sophia_02_zps4e5eb6a0.jpg

^Sophia

best way for my to tell them apart is that sophie has a little tuft of hair messed up on her hind right leg side. Strangely, that the easiest way'

if she had 'accidental' kits, then you might want to learn how to tell males and females apart for yourself. For chins its not as easy as one might think. If one of those boys is actually a female, then your going to end up with inbreed kits of your own.

You can use a sharpie marker on their ears and draw a number or symbol on it. It will eventually come off after several dust baths. After a while you'll be able to tell them apart.

The sharpie trick on the ear will work. Give it time. You will get to learn their personalities. They may look the same, but I swear they all have different little attitudes.

The sharpie idea works - I use it for kits that look alike at first. Also as suggested I would double check you have all of the same sex in one cage

Thanks!!!

I did consider the Sharpie thing! Glad to hear it's not a crazy idea!!!

As for sexing... We did that before they left to come home! All little boys! The personalities are shining through but every now and again they all do the SAME THING THE SAME WAY!!!! :bump1:

i asked the same question once myself. give it time! you will get to know them better, personality, exact color, etc. you will be able to tell them apart. i have 3 standards, all in different cages but 2 have playtime together. i can spot significant differences in them... one slightly lighter than the others, one has darker "eyebrows", one is a little smaller, etc. you will get the hang of it.

Are you aware that females look like males unless you know the difference? I am not meaning to insult you. It's just that most people think the urethral cone in a female is a penis. If you already know how to tell the difference that's great! If not, we can help you if you post pictures of their genitals for us.

Back