white teeth/ constant mouth movement

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gkdude

I posted this here instead of emergencies because this feels a little less urgent, my 7 m/o chin just scratched her toe but we got it all sorted out at the vet and I'm putting antibiotic powder on it twice a day for a few more days, but the reason I'm posting is because ever since I noticed the scratch she had been constantly moving her jaw and on closer inspection it seems like she's licking her lips or teeth and her teeth seem a little white other than that she runs eats jumps and drinks all normal just thought id get some opinions

What are you feeding her? She could be calcium deficient, depending on her diet.

Not sure about the constant movement. Is she tooth grinding? Making any odd noises?

I'm currently feeding her an off brand type of food, its foster and smith but I will be switching over to oxbow as soon as I can, I just have to order it at the start of next month other than that about 75% timothy hay, I have heard a grinding sort of sound once but I also heard it the first night I brought her home but it isn't continuous, I know its a sign of malo but she isn't showing any other sign

7 months old is young for teeth issues and at that age the teeth may just not be mineralized fully yet, the mouth movement could be from tasting the antibiotic power on the toe?

Could be, Wednesday is the last day for the powder and I'm guessing most of the issues will go away in time after switching to a more nutrient filled food and once her foot is all better. Thanks guys

Oh and another thing I just noticed, she only does the licking lips thing after drinking a bunch of water, and sometimes a small gurgle/pressure release sound happens as shes drinking but im yet to figure out if it's her or the bottle

Teeth topics always catch my eye ( terrified of Malo! )

Ticklechin - my chinny is a little over a year. I saw pictures of chins with carrot colored teeth. I checked little Julio's teeth while he was drinking water and they are so much lighter.
One tooth is actually a lighter shade than the other.
I would say more yellowish than orange.

Do their teeth not start out orange at birth?
When should they be orange?

He eats his oxbow pellets all the time.

He gets a rainbow of hay to pick from
Timmy - free choice 1st cut oxbow brand & 3rd cut sweet meadow brand
Kaytee orchard grass free choice
Alfalfa - Subseed brand a tiny handful every few days)

Bottled water (no tap)

Oh yes and he eats poops. :-/ yehhhh lol

*helicopter mom*

Kit teeth are white at birth and mineralize as they get older, dark yellow to orange. A little over a year old chin on a good diet I would not worry.

Back