White questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whites can change quite a bit as they age. They usually get lighter, but can sometimes get darker. I know my white ebony has started getting darker over this year.

A white with pink ears and red eyes is called a pink white. Dark ears and dark eyes is a mosaic. The chin in the picture is a pink white.

Thank you for posting this. I have 2 pink whites and from what I'm hearing a possible third. The 2 that I know are pink whites are picture perfect whites. The one is 3 years old and the other is 10 months old: all white, pink ears and pink eyes. The rescue kit that is up for adoption is all white except for alot of grey on her face and spot to her lower back. She still has the pink ears and eyes like a pink white, but i thought that they are supposed to be pure white? I know that I've read that whites can change color until they are a couple of years old? Mine never have. When the rescue kit was born the shading was so light you could barely see it, so I assumed it would probably just fade out. But, it actually has got a little bit darker. So, what would a pink eared, red eyed chin be considered if it was marked with gray?

Are you sure it's marked with gray and not brown? Because a PW doesn't have to be all fluffy white. It can have varying shades of beige all over it's body, sometimes even dark brown spots.

I was hoping they still had this up: http://www.jagschinchillas.com/bgmos2.jpg

That's a PW. Hard to believe, isn't it? But it is. So what you may think is gray, just because it's up against the white, may actually be beige showing up in some shade. It might even be a tan white.

As to the OPs question - I think whites do what whites want to do. It's part of the fun of watching a white kit grow. I've had some darken, though not drastically, and I've had one go from what would be an extra-dark ebony with only the very tip of it's tail white, to completely white with a small pencil eraser sized dot of black on it's butt.

Find out what the parents are on this kit. Then maybe you can show her with some documentation of what produces what. Otherwise, show her that picture above and let her know that not all PW's are just white with pink ears and red eyes. Some have markings.

Like tunes said- pink whites aren't always pure white..here is my pink white...he has a large beige marking on his side and a lot of shading on him.

IMG_3621-1.jpg

IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_3113.jpg

She says that "Mom is mosaic, and dad is brown velvet." I haven't seem them so I can't guarantee that. But, PW and mosaic are both probable offspring from that pairing.

Back