White Classifications

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terbear24

TLCuties
Ok had a question about white coloration. Just looking for opinions about what we are calling things and proper terms.

Terms like Wilson White, ebony mosaic, white mosaic and an all white chin with dark ears, tail, etc.

I guess I'm getting a little out of touch with terms since I havent been as active on here as I used to and I just need to be assured! LOL

As far as the show system goes, ECBC just classifies whites in groups of pink ears and grey ears at shows. MCBA has several white classifications - predominantly white, white with dark guard hair, white with pink/beige, mosaic, and silver.
As a judge who gets stuck classifying quite often.... Most chins get grouped into the mosaic category lately. Mosaic is anything with a broken pattern of color in the fur. Therefore, anything with a spot is a mosaic. I have seen very few predominantly white chins - a chin that is all white - and rarely see a true silver, with a grey underfur and white bar.
We do not use any of the terms like Wilson white, etc. when classifying. We classify by the phenotype of the chin, not the genotype. Most breeders will use ebony white, white violet, mosaic, etc for terms based on the breeding/background of the chin.

Ok that is the same page I was on.
So is there a term for the all white with dark ears, tail, nose? Someone had asked me and I didnt know if there was! I thought maybe I was out of the loop!

Last edited:
Don't forget ebony whites...a lot of people expect an ebony white to be super splotchy with BLACK patches...I've had ebony whites that were predominantly white...but threw super dark EBONY kits. It was their genetics that gave them the "ebony white" denotation with me.

You have to think about the color and the pattern separately.

Whites, white ebs, pink whites, white sapphires, white violets, TOV whites, tan whites, etc describe the color(s).

Predominantly white, white with dark guard hair, mosaic, and silver describe the pattern.

MCBA also has a pink white class in addition to those four phases, but eh, it's beside the point. ^^

Any of the colors of white will have one of those four patterns. Yes, most white ebs we see are mosaics (frankly, most whites period are mosaics), but don't have to be. I had a white sapphire that was predominantly white, and two that were mosaics. The classic pink white is predominantly white, but can be a mosaic (sometimes called beige mosaic) as well. Under the current rules for MCBA, there are a lot of pink whites that are being classed as mosaics. Only the predominantly white pink whites are currently classed as pink whites.

I'd say most of mine are classed as white with dark guard hairs. Of course a large majority of mine are born standard looking. It's sad, as "common" as mosaics are...I just don't have many born! I actually get excited about patterns, because I adore them. When I sell a white, that's what I say...it's a white. If it has ebony I say ebony white, if it has beige then pink white etc. But I don't really distinguish pattern when selling. Just mutation. That's for selling purposes though which is entirely different than showing or breeding purposes!

But I don't really distinguish pattern when selling. Just mutation.

There really isn't a need to, the patterns are mostly for pelters when making matched lots. Most pet owners don't care about pattern nor do any breeders breed for certain patterns - with the exception, as I said in the other thread, of extreme mosaics. Pet owners and certain breeders alike go nuts for them. I admit, they catch my eye, too. But I'm not trying to produce them and even if I did, I would still just call it a white/beige mosaic/white sapphire/whatever the colororhybrid is. =)

Back