white birch?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lydz

I wanted to order these alphabet blocks. The lady told me they were made out of white birch and she has had chin owners buy them before. One site i look at listed birch under safe and not safe wood. So which is it?

I want to be sure in case I decide to sell using them.

Birch is safe :) Can you share the website? My birds love birch.

I have some of those. My chins hardly touch pine and will only chew the bark off the apple wood if that. I found some "alpha" blocks I had bought for a previous rodent and they loved them. There is a little edge from the stamped letter/border they like to grab/chew off. I haven't seen them at the pet store but once in a blue moon. I saw some at the craft store but didn't want to chance it. Where are you thinking of getting them (website)?

The site is cabirdnerds.com

I was thinking i could incorporate them on some things my husband has been making and selling. Like spell your chins name of something. And I'd like to start making my own toys instead of buying them. They have some cute pieces that can be worked onto toys and they are not very expensive.

I have used birch for years with no issues. Some people say not to use it, but there are quite a few who do. Pretty much all those colored wood pieces you get on ebay are birch and people use them allll the time.

Mine will eat every bit of paper and cardboard they get their paws on . I can't really leave cardboard/paper toys in their cage or they will eat that and not food :) Or anything else except lava bites and wooden chews. Luckily they spit most of that out! If yours actually EATS a lot of the wood, stick with the least arguable woods. But birch seems fine for shredding (I think it is a little softer than pine).

I would like to try Yucca with my chins. I have heard one vote against it but everyone else seems fine with it. I decided against Sisal rope for now, I think, because some feel it causes impactions. I am not sure about coconut rope. I plan to gather more opinions about those three things.

My alpha blocks have the color (paint?) on them. Which now I think may not be a good idea. I didn't look that closely until I looked on the website you provided. The jumbo ones have a paint disclaimer. I figured it was food dye but I looked closely and I think it is paint. I am waiting for some wood from PPBN to come in, then I will probably take the alpha blocks out until I can get unpainted ones. I was glad they were chewing on something besides cardboard. They don't really chew on their pine shelves.

Back