Which Wheel?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alooper19

Mommy of four chins <3
So I want to buy my chins a wheel. I was reading around and I would like to know which wheel everyone has/likes the most. I'm looking at the Flying Saucer, ChinSpin, and Silver Surfer? Help!! :)

I actually have one of each, though I haven't used the chin spin yet cause my youngest is under 6 months. My chins LOVE the flying saucer, though it took one a few weeks to understand what it was and how to use it. He figured out how to use it first and then the other kept sitting on it and swaying back and forth until he eventually got the hang of it and now they both switch off using it ALL the time. It is really quiet, the only thing that makes noise is the doors of my ferret nation clanging in the holes. To prevent that, I took scraps of fleece and folded them up thick and put them in the top and bottom of each door to hold them steady while they run. Now it is basically silent.

Next, I added in the silver surfer. They immediately figured out how to run on that one and loved it. It hooks on to a cross bar and then screws tight onto two lower upright bars. The two hooks have no padding between them and the bar so when they run it would clang pretty loudly. To fix that I took very small strips of fleece and pulled them up under the hooks and wrapped them between the hooks and the bar a few times. Then I pulled a folded in half patch of fleece and maneuvered it behind the whole back panel in front of the cage bars. Now that one is also completely silent.

I think both wheels are great, my chins use both non stop. The silver surfer is easier to put on but the flying saucer is not too difficult either. You can't really go wrong either way!

I have the silver surfer and my boy loves it! I didn't get a saucer since he grew up with a metal, mesh wheel (shame on the pet store). I haven't found that the cage rattles or anything. But maybe I sleep through it since he's in the other room? Either way, I still like the wheel and so does my boy. I ordered the surfer over the Chin Spin simply because of price, but I'm happy with my decision.

Both of my chins love their metal flying saucer. Well worth the $.

Attachments

• IMG_0346.jpg
    IMG_0346.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 22
Both my cages have a metal flying saucer. They are great for chins. And if anything ever goes wrong on a wheel type item, its generally the center spot where it rotates. The metal flying saucer uses a simple baring. It costs like $3 to get a new one from the manufacturer, and simple enough to replace.

I have the Chin Spin and my chin loves it when he was about 6 month old i got it and he has never been on a wheel before i put the chin spin in his cage and he went right on it going a 100 miles an hour now :)

Chin spins can have the finish peel off, I got rid of my last one since it lost all the finish on the running surface and looked horrible. I have all Leo brauns now.

Silver surfers function fine at $50, the cheapest wheel. I might get a flying saucer for Aime though because she occasionally pees in her wheel and then runs making her back all spiky with pee clumped fur.

I just ordered one of the flying saucers from Whimsy! I'm not saving much buying a used one, but I don't mind because I know it will go toward helping the rescue.

I've been looking at buying a flying saucer or a chin spin, but I'm having some trouble figuring out how I can mount it to my CritterNation without it breaking the cheap bars.

Some people have reinforced with a board or strip of metal and attaching the wheel to that through the cage bars. You can put a board under a flying saucer to keep it from bending down.

I've been looking at buying a flying saucer or a chin spin, but I'm having some trouble figuring out how I can mount it to my CritterNation without it breaking the cheap bars.

I just got a Flying Saucer and mounted it to my CN with the mounting hardware. I put a block of wood under the support just to make it more sturdy when it's in use. I've only had it for a few days, but Luna runs like crazy in it and the whole cage shakes but the bars seem to be holding up fine.

I see there are different sizes? What size do you all have?

I have two large flying saucers myself. I had a standard one for my girls for a while since i was short on funds and someone on here was selling a used one cheaper. It worked, but i honestly like the larger one much better. The standard just seemed a little bit to small for them. They couldn't reach full extension. So when i was able to, i got a second large one.

Back