which wheel??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinny

I have a wheel that is 4 inches wide and only ten in diameter. I know this is too small for my chinny so I am getting her another one. But I don't know which one to get. I know I want either the chin spin or the silver surfer.
The one she has now she wont run one and I don't know if that is because of the width or the diameter so I don't know if I should get the silver surfer since this ones width is 4 as well.
Or if I should go with the big honker of a chin spin.

I want one quieter too but this seems to be based on the cage and setup but if there is any opinions please let me know.

I want to get the best one for the money that is going to be spent. Thanks.

I have a silver surfer and it's really loud. It shakes the whole cage, but I have a Chinchilla Townhome.

^ what Renee said.

I managed to quiet it a little by covering some cardboard in fleece and putting that in between the frame and the side panel but DANG

I have a chin spin, flying saucer and Leo wheel. Without question the chin spin is the loudest, then I'd say the flying saucer one is next if the bearing isn't oiled.

Thanks for the input. Do you think the silver surfer is louder because of how it is built? Is the chin spin's larger size an asset over the silver surfer?

I think the surfer must be loud because of the cage type. I have a Grape Escape in my Ferret Nation and it's totally quiet, just like the Chin Spin.
I actually have 2 Chin Spins, a Flying Saucer, and a Grape Escape. They are all quiet in the Ferret Nation cages.
If you have a small(ish) chin then the Silver Surfer is fine. If it were a little bigger and wider, it would be my favorite wheel ever just because it installs SO much easier than the others.

She's 600 grams so I think she is pretty small. Do you agree?
I don't have a ferret nation but I have wood for the frame of my cage. I would support the wheel with extra wood the way I have mine now.

When I looked at the silver surfer on chinchillas.com E-store they had a replacement thrumbscrew set to mount the wheel to a cage. This is not needed along with the wheel itself is it?

Thanks for all the help. I want to make sure I get the best one.

we have a silver surfer (pink) in our ferret nation cage, I put a larger fender washer on it when I mounted it to make sure it was more secure. But even whens shes running in it is is still relatively quiet. It seems to be a little wobbly when it spins, but I believe a few other people have said the same thing on the silver surfer.

Do you think putting a piece of wood behind it would help with the wobbling? Or better yet do you think the wobbling is really that big of a deal anyway?

600 grams is small, but chins can be healthy at any weight. My boys are both just under 500 and love their Silver Surfer. It's just noisy and wobbly. I have a Ferret Nation and a Critter Nation, but the wire spacing was too narrow for the Surfer to mount properly in my CN, which is how I wound up with a Chin Spin. To be honest, I really wish I'd taken the advice of others on here and started with the Chin Spin. At the time, my budget just didn't allow for it. Your chin will be happy with either wheel. It's just a matter of how much noise you're willing to deal with.

Gosh! I just don't know which one to go with. I have researched both for hours and still can't come to a conclusion. Some think the chin spin is louder and others the silver surfer. I understand the mounting and cage plays a part. I don't have a clue which one would be better!
I suppose I could just pick one and see how it works for me and then bolster it up if need be to fix the noise or wobble.

I have finally decided to go with the silver surfer. We will see how it goes! Thanks.

I might add - it takes some chins a longer time to get used to the silver surfer, especially if they've never had a wheel like that before. Don't give up if they don't take to it right away!

Kind of funny, I just ordered my girl a Chin Spin yesterday! Keep us updated on how the wheel goes!

Latest posts

Back