Which type of wheel???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickster

I'm gonna get my girls a wheel but I don't know which type. I have my chins in my room so I need a quiet wheel and something that will last. I've heard of the Chin Spin,but the price is steep.

Chin spin and the flying saucer are both fantastic wheels. You pay more up front but they last a hundred times longer than any plastic (unsafe) wheel. Some chins take a while to learn to use the flying saucer, though the saucer itself is practically indestructible. Chin spins have zero learning curve, but sometimes chins chew at the powder coating. Both a reasonably quiet (I have a flying saucer and it never keeps my up at night providing it is properly secured)

Hands down Flying Saucer Wheel. You have to remember that you pay for quality. Cheaply made wheels will be replaced several times over (either being chewed up or the bearing or hub breaks) and in the end, you will wish you invested in a high quality wheel. These are the quietest wheels I have used and are very well made.

http://www.flyingsaucerwheels.com/

Flying saucer. I bought two. No regrets. My chins absolutely love it. Worth every penny.

Attachments

• IMG_0327.jpg
    IMG_0327.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 22
If I get another wheel I will get the Leo Braun style since Edgar has never run on his flying saucer. He uses it as a slide once in a while but he is in a FN 142 and gets out time so he still gets his exercise. When we get Jackie a bigger cage he'll get the flying saucer.

My chins have never quite figured out the flying saucer type wheel. I'm going for a Chin Spin or Leo Braun when I have enough money to purchase one.

chin spin super quiet put the wheel into the cage when my chin was 6 month he never used a wheel before then i put the wheel in he went on it and now is running on it like he has been doing it all of his live

I have a Silver Surfer, but I haven't given it to my chin yet, so I couldn't tell you how he likes it. It looks nice though. The price is kinda steep, but less than the Chin Spin if I remember correctly & I heard you have to replace the bearings in the Chin Spin every once in a while?

One thing to keep in mind with the flying saucer as well is there is a cheap plastic one that is sold in pet stores: it is too small for a chinchilla and I have yet to see one run on it (possibly because of its size?), rather than just chewing on it and using it as a pee-spot. The genuine metal flying saucers are MUCH bigger and sturdier, as pictured in mgonya's photo :)

I think that a chin spin, leo braun style or flying saucer are the only wheels that I would buy for my chinchillas. I'd personally rather have them have a safe wheel than on that will break or hurt them. Unfortunately I've found good cages and wheels are expensive but are well worth the price.

I also think bucket wheels are for hedgies.

which one would be better? chin spin or flying saucer? I did have the plastic one (cheap one) and it started to rub my chin's feet raw it looked like.

I do like the vertical wheel because of less space taking up in the ferret nation cage.

Even though the Silver Surfer, Chinspin and Flying Saucer are pricier, they are well worth it. All of these are good quality. My chins use the Silver Surfers and I bought them like 2 years ago. They are going strong. These wheels can last for years. Well worth the investment over a cheap plastic wheel. Plus, you can be assured that these wheels are large enough and will accommodate chins well- unlike the plastic wheels in stores.

Ashley- Yes, I do believe you have to replace the bearings in Chin Spins after a while and Quality cage sells those bearings. I also think I heard if you buy a Chin Spin not to get the powder coating as it flakes off.

There is plenty of room in the FN cage for the Flying Saucer.... I think that is a great cage for it but I guess it depends on what all you have in it.

There is plenty of room in the FN cage for the Flying Saucer.... I think that is a great cage for it but I guess it depends on what all you have in it.

Concern is the mounting to the side walls. Needs to be mounted near or at the intersection of the veritical and horiztional bars to keeps movement of the saucer at a min and thus noise.

I have put.the Flying Saucer on multiple walls and have not had issues with noise. Just make sure you are using all three ubolts provided. Though, if you have a fatty chin you are going to have noise no matter what kind of cage or wheel it is :)

Latest posts

Back