Which loofah?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juzza24

Have come across some stuff that isn't bleached.

One comes flat so would i just need to soak it in water and then let it dry out, or should I avoid flattened ones?

The other says that it is rock hard, could I give it straight to my chin or should I soak and dry first?

could you post a link to the loofah you are considering? that'd help us figure out if it's a safe variety of loofah.

i personally would only buy loofah from members here, or from members of other chin forums i belong to.

i think the first one is safe, but i wouldn't go with the second one due to lack of info on the seller's part - better safe than sorry!

as for soaking, that's not needed when giving loofah to chins as far as i know. the soaking is just so you don't damage your skin with a hard loofah sponge in the shower.

one thing you can do with loofah is dye it with kool-aid drink powder (just the kool-aid, no sugar!) to make it colourful and a bit more tasty for your chin.

i think the first one is safe, but i wouldn't go with the second one due to lack of info on the seller's part - better safe than sorry!

as for soaking, that's not needed when giving loofah to chins as far as i know. the soaking is just so you don't damage your skin with a hard loofah sponge in the shower.

one thing you can do with loofah is dye it with kool-aid drink powder (just the kool-aid, no sugar!) to make it colourful and a bit more tasty for your chin.

Thanks for the info, was just going to colour it with a vegetable dye but think i'll get some Kool-Aid.

Glad you posted this :D might get some loofah myself now, ive only used vegetable dye because i didnt know if we could get kool-aid in the uk.

Found some on Ebay from a brit seller, it was about £1.55 for 2 sachets delivered. I'm guessing it wouldn't work on wood?

Vita kritter

Can be used on loofa, wood, really bold colors

it was developed for use on toys for parrots, you
Can ask about it for chins

Kool aid works, but colors are dull

Just asking out of curiosity, Kool-aid is suggested, which would be better, food coloring or kool-aid and why? I know with birds Kool-aid is not recommended.

Both loofahs listed look natural and unbleached, you can contact the seller to make sure.

I use food coloring and kool-aid mixes to dye loofah. Just dont add sugar! You can vary the dilution ratio or even rinse them out once the coloring has soaked in if you're concerned.

Food coloring is considered safe for pets:

http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/ask-the-expert/ask-the-expert-poison-control/food-coloring.aspx

And Kool-Aid gives a bit of flavor but I dont believe there's anything in the ingredients to be concerned about and it makes up such a small part when diluted in water.

(Citric acid is an organic compound that is found naturally in fruits to add flavoring. Calcium phosphate is a mineral commonly found in cow's milk and is commonly used in baking powders and naturally absorbs water. Ascorbic Acid is vitamin C that is water soluble. Vitamin C is an antioxidant, a substance that helps to ward off illnesses and also helps the body grow, as well as maintain healthy bones and teeth.)

Latest posts

Back