Which kind of Pine?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rem

Went to my local Home Depot, and apparently almost all of their pine is KilnDried (KD), (at least the untreated is).

The problem is they have several different types of pine, and while it all looks the same, I wasn't sure if it was all chin safe.

Also, the thinnest I think they carry is 2", I haven't found the 1" (though I only spent about 25 - 40 seconds looking around).

Any advice on which type of pine is safe?

Southern Yellow Pine
Yellow Pine
Prime Southern Pine
Prime Southern Yellow Pine

I'm going to go out on a limb here (pun?) and say that they are all pretty much the same, but the Prime is a better quality with less knots and holes.

Is the 2" stuff the kind everyone has in their cages? It seems pretty thick. What dimensions do you typically get?

I'm all set on hardware.

I am going to make the assumption you are wanting to build shelves. For that, you will need to go to the cabinet making section (not sure exactly what its called). Its where you will see all the wood being stored vertically and they look like shelves. You'll find other wood unsuitable for chinnies like oak and maple here as well. Is is usually the section next to all the general purpose wood (studs, beams, ties, etc.) you were looking at with the treated wood. All those pines are fine as long as they are untreated and are kiln dried. Anyhow, the wood to look for is nominal 1" thick, which means it will be 3/4" finished (planed/sanded). I use 1" x 6" boards. I personally wouldn't bother with the more expensive boards with less knots, unless they really bother you. It's all gonna get chewed up and peed on eventually ;) Just remember it needs to have the KD pine stamp on it. :thumbsup:

go look in the moulding section. that is where i get my pine boards. they are about 1 inch thick and come in varying widths and lengths.

I did find them, they are in the same section as the finished shelving and the molding was right by it.

It looks like the price is about 14$ for a 8 foot long by 8 or 9 inch wide piece (1 inch thick).
I figured I can have them cut it (all cutting is for free) into 2 36" board, and 2 12" boards.

I'll just need another board or two as I would like to make some more shelves and corners as well. I need to measure the length of the smaller side of my FN cage =D.

After this I may be able to get a large pile of shelves ready to go, just need some elmers glue and the wooden dowels to make it look all pretty without screws. The only thing that I haven't been able to figure out is the way to make the holes and then sand down the edges of the holes. (I can cut out the holes in the wood, but making the corners smooth is more difficult).

Thank you all for your help!

Back