Which insects and how often as well as other food questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anna.babyxox

I'm probably just not plugging in the right words on the search function, don't yell at me please! xD

Anyway, I am adopting a hedgie for myself sometime in the near future and already picked out various cat foods that would work well. I do wonder if hedgies can eat Mazuri brand ferret food? It's one of the top foods recommended for ferrets and for those of you who may not know ferrets are carnivores.

Now, I was mostly looking into mealworms and crickets to feed my baby but I wanted someone who is more experienced on these matters to let me know if these are good options and also if I should add any other insects. Do I feed the insects daily? And if so, in what amount?

I also feed a variety of blood worms, brine shrimp, and krill for my fish. Are these of any value to a hedgehog?

Ferret foods tend to not be a good option for hedgehogs. Ferrets require a higher protein and fat content than hedgehogs do. Stick with foods that are under 35% protein and under 12% fat.

Mealworms and crickets are perfect. I grow my own mealworms and just about every hedgehog I have had has loved mealworm beetles. You'll find some variation in recommendations for how often to feed insects and how many. I personally feed them as a daily part of their diet (I don't consider them a treat), and how many depends on the hedgehog and the insect in question (size, fat content etc). I typically feed 5 mealworms daily though. If I have a hedgehog that is getting fat, I will cut back, or use a lower fat variety. If I have a hedgehog that can use the extra calories, I add more. Other than weight, also watch how many you give as they can cause digestive upset if you give more than what they are used to.

I've never fed any of the fish items you listed, my opinion, I wouldn't bother with them. If you want variety, look at getting some silkworms, or waxworms (in moderation as these guys are fattening).

Thank you so much for the thoughtful response! This has really helped me out as I have plans to adopt a hedgie on Thursday and will be buying the bulk of my supplies today. If I buy live mealworms can I freeze them to prolong their use? And if so, how long will they stay good in my freezer?

The hedgehog I am looking into adopting is ten weeks old; about how much should I be feeding a young-un like that? I have a choice between male or female as I am adopting from a new litter, would you recommend one over the other for a beginner? I have no interest in breeding or showing, btw.

I keep the mealies in the fridge along with their food. They stay plump and ready to eat for a few weeks like that.

In general, I'd free-feed a baby hedgie - if you're talking about kibbles. Put a couple tablespoons of kibble into his/her dish at night. If it's all gone by morning, add more then. And use more in the evening too. If there are some kibbles left by morning, leave them until evening, then toss the stale, and put new kibbles in.

If you're talking about how many mealies to feed a baby, find out if s/he's had them before. If not, hold off on the mealies until baby has a chance to acclimate to his/her new home before adding something new to his/her diet. If s/he's had them before, I try maybe 2 or 3 at first and see what happens.

Regarding getting a male or female - no difference. Personality, size, etc... seems to have more to do with the individual hedgie... not anything to do with their biological sex. They're both adorable cutie-pies :)

So long as there are no notable differences I will just play with all of the babies and pick the one that suits me best. ^^ Thank you for the info! I called a pet store near me and they say that they sell large mealworms for 10 cents each and the small size is less--does that sounds alright for pricing or should I buy in bulk somewhere else? Also, which size do you guys use? Bigger or smaller mealworms? Right now I am just staring at the supplies I just bought and being impatient about meeting the hedgies on thursday. =D Oh! Also, I bought royal canin 40 indoor light because the lady I am getting my baby from said that is what she uses and recommends. I was going to use Innova but she said that the fat content was too high, does that sound right to you?

I use medium size mealworms. Don't buy the super worms. They bite and need their heads cut off before you feed them. Plus they are so big that you get to feed less. I usually raise my own, but when I buy them I just get them at Petco. I think the last time I purchased them they were about $7 for 500. Open the container and shake it a bit. If you see a lot of black worms, don't buy them, black = dead.

I use both Innova Lite and Sr in my mix. The regular cat/kitten is higher in fat and for most hedgehogs they won't need it. However with a young, growing hedgehog it may be fine for a while. I have used regular with adults that were extremely active and hard to keep weight on.

So superworms are the large variety of mealworms? Should I buy another variety of food to mix in with my royal canin?

And thank you! You guys are so helpful! =D

superworms are technically a different species. They shouldn't be kept in the refrigerator. Just watch out if someone is selling you extra large or super worms.

I recommend at least 2 different foods. That way if you cannot get one food, or one should change its formulation, you will have one that your hedgehog is familiar with and won't be stuck with a hedgehog on a starvation strike demanding a food you cannot provide him/her.

Oh I see! Is there any particular way that I am supposed to choose foods that compensate for each others faults? Or does it not matter which foods you choose and you can pick any two or three of the good brands and they will work together?

And how small can I expect my hedgehog to be at 10 weeks? The first time I see the hedgies will be when I go to the lady's house to choose one. She said she is USDA qualified, is there any way I can know that for sure?

Finally, you mentioned that you might want to start a show in Michigan! I'm in michigan! If you decide to please please please let me know so I can come and meet you and the other peeps in michigan!

Its hard to tell how big they will be, they all seem to grow at different rates, and they all get different sizes.

I'm hoping to have a show next year. I really need to start working on finding a location for it. I've never organized an event before, and the finding a location for a reasonable price is a hurdle I need to get over. Oh and talking to my hopeful partner in crime about when she thinks would be a good time as well ;).

Where are you getting a baby from? I'm just curious to see if I know who the breeder is or if there is one in the state that I haven't heard about yet. Gotta keep up on these things in case I ever feel the urge to get a baby again.

USDA: Sure, the USDA has a searchable database. http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_welfare/pubs_reports.shtml There is a link for the active lists on that site. You can use the search tool to find a specific breeder, or filter it by state.

The last name is Chartier, I believe. I'm uncomfortable posting someone's full name on the internet xD I am having some difficulties with the search feature on the site so I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing it right. lol Thank you for being so helpful! There is a building in a trailer park near me that my family used to rent out for christmas and most of them are dirt poor xD If you're interested I could get the info for you. It's actually a really nice place and you have access to a full kitchen. Not sure if we would need a kitcehn but it's there.LOL

Latest posts

Back