Which do chins prefer?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cintistatern2005

I was going to order some hay from kleenmama's and didnt really know which do chins prefer 1st cut, 2nd cut timothy or 3rd cut? Mine are on oxbow right now but waste so much of it. I feed orchard about once a week and they dont waste as much of it. They dont like the botanical at all.

Can't answer the first question, but I wanted to tell you my chins love the oat hay...

Chins vary in their tastes so much, and hay varies from year to year and place to place as well. I used to get a third cut from Kleenmama's because generally it was leafy and green, however, one year I ordered it and emailed her because it was so coarse I thought she sent me first cut. That is just the way it was that year I was told. None of my chins will eat first cutting hay even though it would be my choice for them to eat. I order Oxbow hay at the moment and usually it seems like a second cutting hay which my girls seem to like (though every once in a while they snub everything). Linda used to send out samples of her hays but I am not sure if she does that anymore. That way you wouldn't have to guess :)).

Mine like american pet diner. I usually order 1st and 2nd cut and mix them together. americanpetdiner.com

Mine are loving KMs bluegrass at the moment. For timothy, I usually get 2nd or 3rd cut. 3rd cut was very stemmy one year. If you ask Linda, I'm sure she can tell you what they different hays look like this year. Most of my chins go for the leafy stuff, but I do have a few that love the stems.

i'm sorry...i'm new to this forum...so...whos linda??

and leafy part...do u mean the thick "flurry" stuff in the hay, my chin hates it...she never eat those things...

I got my hay from Linda about 2 weeks ago. I always buy second cut Timothy. She did send me a sample of the third cut and it is a beautiful soft green this year, however my chins don't like it at all.

I bought Kleenmama's 2nd cut and my boys don't want to touch it. I tried again with the 3rd cut and they love it. It's very green and soft, and so it makes me feel like hmmm is this doing enough in the roughage / tooth wearing department? But, they like it and are eating it, which is more than they did with the 2nd cut.

My kids hate Kleenmama's, and the last time I ordered it, I was none too impressed with the quality.

I have ordered American Pet Diner for several years and it is consistant in quality, plus my chins devour it. I get the timothy gold hay (2nd cut), moutain grass, and oat hay.

1st cut hay is the lowest quality of hay. It is much more mature at the time of cutting, because it requires longer to reach the size need to cut. It is growing early in the spring, when it grows slower and has older material on it from the previous season that has been overwintered. 2nd cut is given less time to mature before cutting, and so is of higher quality (has less lignification). It's less "stemmy" and has more digestible leaf material. I have no experience with 3rd cutting, but would assume that it would be very similar to 2nd cutting, if not better.

Summary: go for the 2nd or 3rd cutting hay.

My chins don't seem to have too much of an opinion on their hay. If it's hay they love it!

you are lucky. my boys are PITA's!! i have tried about 4 or 5 differnt brands and they really dont like any of them all that much.
the thing with buying hay online is that the shipping is as much as the darn hay. i want to order from APD as i have heard many good things, but someone sent me some kleenmamas blue grass and my chins really like that! i am so torn.
i was at the feed store the other day, found a small bag of zupreem timothy, it smelled good, looked good, i was all excited got home & the little stinkers wont touch it. aaaahhhhhhhh..............

I got my order from kleemamas this is the first time on the 3rd cut usually get 2nd. My kids love her hay wont eat anything else.Its always good. Its smells and looks great.

Latest posts

Back