Which cage!?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dleffler78

Hello all, new member here. :)

I am the proud parent of an awesome little guy, Chooch. I brought home a new brother for him today and although they are separated now, I'd like to move them into something like an FN142 asap. Am I correct in assuming that the FN142 is basically two 141's stacked on top of each other and can be blocked off making 1 cage for each Chin until they get used to each other and eventually opened up?

I've been reading up lately and it seems the FN142 is a favorite and a lot of people don't like the newer 182. I'd like to buy it off of amazon because I have a credit account, free prime shipping and they are great with returns. I saw the link Misty posted (http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-142-F...OX0E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318719809&sr=8-1). This seems a little pricey at 235, but I don't mind paying a little more for amazon as long as that's not out of control?

Is this my best bet, if i'm going to order something off amazon? Are there any better choices? Money isn't too much of a concern, but i'd like to stay under $300.

Thanks!

Congrats on the new chins! Just make sure you're quarantining the new brother from Chooch for about a month before introducing them, in case of any disease.

Yes you're right that a 142 is basically the same as two 141s stacked. I have my FN's divided into two sections as well, it's perfect. Definitely a great cage whether or not they end up getting along. Just block off the cut-out in the middle with tile or something similar.

I don't know what the best deal is, because I've bought most of my cages from craigslist for at least half off, but other members will probably weigh in if they know of better prices. I've heard you can pricematch at some Petco's or Petsmarts, and get them for around $170 or $180.

Thanks Rainey!

The petsmart around here has the 182, but they said that petsmart doesn't pricematch other websites (it's on sale on ferret.com) :(

Does anyone know about how long ferret.com would take if I ordered it today (i'm on the east coast)? Is it a bad idea getting the 182 over the 142?

Well, I broke down and got the 182 from Petsmart, a 'percent off' coupon made it somewhat reasonable.

It's only been setup for a few hours, but I'm glad I got it! Those things are even bigger in person, what an awesome cage! The 182 seems great, it went together with no problems, seems very sturdy and there was no damage or bent pieces.

I have deliberately stuck to the 140 series cages as I have heard a number of reports of the 180 series coming apart if moved...

right now on ferret.com, you can get the 141 for 79.99 each plus 5.99 flat rate shipping (two 141s = one 142 plus an extra bottom shelf and you will not have the cutout wire panel for making a big 'double' cage) - so, almost equivalent of 142 for about $167 or so, with shipping...

Latest posts

Back