Which Breeds Suit You?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tristanichole

I'm going to school to be a Dog Obedience Trainer in addition to my Vet Tech stuff. Dog trainers have a lot of different responsibilities, one of which is to be able to help people find the right dog for them.

So anyways, whether you're thinking about getting a dog or if you're just curious as to what sort of dog would be fitting, contact me. I'll ask you a whole slew of questions and then research it out and tell you what I feel would be best suited for you. Or, if you know of someone who might be interested, let me know and I'll get in touch. In most cases there are a handful to choose from...so if you're not particularly wild about a look of one, there will be others to think about as well. I've never recommended just one particular breed to anyone.

Another site I belong to (Nibbler's) has been discussing the breed consults I do. Someone found a quiz on IAMS that gives you a breed test...I just thought it was interesting. Here is what I responded, not only to the people, but to the test...

Long post...but...Now, I'M taking this test just to see what they tell me and what they ask, haha.

I too ask about what size you're looking for, as well as the coat type, but I don't ask you what type of dog you like the look of...
I ask about training because if the person doesn't plan on giving any training then I'm not going to recommend a dog that absolutely HAS to have training (though I think that every single dog needs at least basic obedience and always voice this).
I also ask about how much exercise (realistically!) you plan on giving the dog or if there are other activities in which you plan on taking the dog to or teaching your dog.
I ask about the time spent alone...
I ask about the yard
I ask about people and pets in the home
What I don't ask is to name every single activity you plan on or don't plan on doing.
There are a few other things I ask as well and if I have any questions about any of your answers I ask you to elaborate before making a choice.
I feel like online quizzes just give you a run down.
I can't say I love the quiz, but its ok.

What I don't like is they give me this HUGE list of breeds!!
So, I'm going to respond to this here...

Labrador Retriever - I would never like to own one of these...I just have no interest in them...neither does my husband.

English Bulldog - I've always loved this breed, but wouldn't own it until later in life. I have more energy than these dogs do...I'm thinking later on when I don't want to walk every single day, I'll own one of these. They are LAZY!

Portuguese Water Dog
- This is a breed I could own.

Australian Shepherd - I have had 3 big time herding dogs in my past and not one of them worked out (one of them was sick and had to be put down). These are just not the dog for me...I live in the city and like it that way.

Golden Retriever - I think these are very sweet dogs, but once again, not a breed I would own.

Icelandic Sheepdog
- This sounds like a great dog =)

American Eskimo Dog - Nothing too intriguing to me here. Nice breed, but doesn't "get" me.

Clumber Spaniel - Though it sounds like a friendly, sweet dog...I don't love the look.

Leonberger - Like the sound of this one.

Boxer - This one is iffy - I've liked all the boxers I've met, but I've never had them on my "Top 10"

Löwchen - Never...WHAT is with the naked butt?

Cairn Terrier - Not a huge fan of the look, so you'd probably not catch me with one, but they sound like a great Terrier breed!

Norfolk Terrier - Eh...
Norwich Terrier - These two terriers sound like wonderful dogs, but just not up my ally.

Curly-Coated Retriever - Another retriever. I'm just not into Retrievers.

Standard Poodle - NEVER have been a fan of Poodles

Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier - Unfortunately, I haven't met a Wheaten yet that has been "all there"...apologies to any of you that have one!

Wire Fox Terrier - Another "eh"

Norwegian Buhund - Well, it would be a good WI/MN dog! Buuuut, these dogs tend to be a bit on the noisy side and that would drive me insane...or to drink...one or the other. hahaha

Cocker Spaniel - Never been a fan of these...

Miniature Schnauzer - These don't always adapt well to multiple people in the home, so I'm not entirely sure I'd ever own one...but I've always thought they were cuties!

Bouvier des Flandres - I dont' find these to be attractive dogs...

Schipperke - Quite a few of these that I have met have been basket cases, haha. BUT I MIGHT consider owning one some day...it's not on my "Top 10"...once again.

Irish Wolfhound - I love this breed and would really consider it. Funny that it ranks in at "57%" for me though...

Sussex Spaniel - Do not enjoy the look.

Affenpinscher - Nooo...

American Water Spaniel - Also do not enjoy THIS look....

Miniature Pinscher - I am currently an owner of this breed. ABSOLUTELY love them. This was my first dog...got her when she was 6 months old and she's almost 5 =)

Brussels Griffon - Not a fan of the look

German Shepherd Dog - I currently own a GSD and will probably ALWAYS own one as long as I'm living. I absolutely love the breed. My girl has some behavioral issues from some abuse she suffered in the past, but we're working on it.

Anyways, I don't give you this huge list...I give you at the MOST 10...I believe the most I've ever given someone is 9. I really narrow it down to what I think is best. Sometimes I'll have people say "Well, what do you think about this breed?" and I'll let them know if I think it would be a good match or not as well (usually this comes from someone who was looking at medium sized dogs and ran into a smaller one that they like or a bigger one that they liked that I didn't put on their list due to it not fitting the criteria they were looking for...).

In addition, I also own:
Chihuahua/Shih-Tzu/Mini Poodle - I will never own either one of these breeds again. I LOVE my girl Bella, but she has some traits that I would rather not put up with.

Doberman Pinscher - Don't know if I'll ever be able to go through life without one!

Rottweiler/Pit Bull - absolute fan of both of these breeds...it would be a toss up between which one I would own again.

Anyways...the website in my signature has my new blog I've started up which will be featuring many things in time.
Right now I'm starting up descriptions of different breeds...
I'll be adding health issues that associate with these breeds as well
I'm adding a new section for poems that I find
I also have a section for the most recent transports taking place
And in time I'll have different issues on dogs and training and the books I've read on the issues.

I'm not considering getting a dog of my own for some time yet, but I am curious about what one does in a Breed Consult. Think it'd be okay if we did one in your thread here so people can see the sort of things that are/should be taken into consideration when thinking about getting a dog?

For example: I HATE grooming pouffy haired creatures (but chins groom themselves for the most part, so that's fine by me) and combing out undercoat. I'm not fussy about my appearance, though I'm clean, and I don't want a frou frou little pouffy dog that needs to wear barrettes or have a special clip every 6 weeks to keep its fur out of its face.

I'm also not super active, but want a dog that can keep up for a mile or two of walk around the park. We have a 1 acre fenced dog park half a mile from our house. I also like to hike in the woods, so a companion for that would be great.

I had a miniature Schnauzer before my doberman and she was the sweetest dog in the world. Loved all people, although small kids made her nervous since she was kicked as a puppy by a 3 year old neighbor. She also didn't like big dogs since she had been attacked by a german shepard neighbor. I have a doberman now, 2 years old, that is very lovable and totally full of energy. They do tend to be too smart for their own good and mine knows commands as he has been to obedience school, but still tries to have his own way. They are very determined and strong willed dogs. He is just like one of my kids! I would love to get another schnauzer someday, although you really have to groom them daily, or a golden retriever.

oh i couldn't live without my shephard either. i would also love a border collie or aussie, but they do requrie sooo much exercise, and if not given would become very disruptive, you know that.

that's great you can help people out with the correct breed for them, and hopefully you'll learn all about the good breeders vs's the bad.. i'm sure you will.

jean

Jenn, I finally pieced together just where my Doberman came from and found out it is one of the worst, if not the worst, puppy mill in MN. Sickening.

On top of that, this is what I was told:

We've had a couple of dogs that I know came from Wildsides and a few that I suspected came from there. Of the ones that I know came from there, off the top of my head, I think were all dilutes. But I know they have produced blacks and reds too.

The two dilute males are HUGE - 30 plus inches tall. All legs and not much body - they kind of disappear when you look at at them from the front. We call them "Angelfish" Dobes. If you've seen Angelfish, you know what I mean! The blue male is very friendly, but we got him at 4 months. He went on to do some agility. But his bad conformation caught up to him and he had some major arthritis type issues. I think he also has some kind of nerve sheath tumor in his leg now. I haven't heard anything recently.

The big fawn male was a little less friendly with people, but OK. I would say that he's a little bit reactive about meeting strangers. His family had children and he's done well with them. All in all, a successful placement, but I haven't heard anything from them in a couple of years now. I think they would tell me if there was a problem.

The little fawn girl with the doggy autism was smaller than normal. She had/has some major temperament issues. She absolutely would not engage with humans, but was great with other dogs. It took months of intense work from a very dedicated and experienced foster mom to get her to acknowledge people at all. She'd rather leave the room and get in her crate than be petted. The family that took her were willing to work with her and accept her limitations. I know they still have her, but she's not a normal dog. She's probably about 5 years old now.

Of the dogs that I suspected that came from there, more ofthen than not, they had some reactivity issues. Hackled quickly, and could become fear biters in the right situation. But that's been an overwhelming theme with many of the dogs bred in MN. We have a lot of crap breeders and there isn't anybody here that I'd recommend to a puppy buyer.

That purple part...this is exactly how Marley is. She also only stands around 23 inches tall...

I'd like to just make a note.

Breed consulting isn't something that just came out of nowhere. The ASPCA does something very similar to this...its called "Meet Your Match" the difference here is that you're being matched with a dog in a shelter. Most people who come to me are looking for a dog they can get either as a puppy (in most cases) or a breed they can be looking for in shelters and rescues. I base it on the research that I have either done or am doing on different breeds. Meet Your Match might pair you with a dog that is not something I would recommend, BUT they are basing it on the temperament of the dog in the shelter...and in almost all cases, these dogs are adults with "set ways"...
So, though what I do is a bit different, the circumstances behind each is also different.

This is not something I just decided to do, this is something I've been tested on doing for school. I went through an entire lesson dedicated to learning about how to properly do this and was then given a rather large project to complete and hand in...I'm not learning my dog training through a department store, I'm going to school for it and in just a few weeks will be learning from one of the best trainers in my town - she is in charge of the dog program that is being started up at the shelter here as well.

So, with that, I would like to share the following:

Have you ever heard someone say that they wanted a dog like "the one in that TV show" or the one they saw "at the park...it was so well behaved" or how about that German Shepherd who was "such a good walker and so mellow"....
That GSD is probably either
A) a dog who had a lot of training
B) he's 9 years old - lol
I don't want people to go out and get dogs based on the one dog they've seen that they fell in love with...
Then you have the people that felt sorry for the dog - I did this with my Chihuahua mix. I don't regret taking her in because she may have died otherwise, but I'm not in love with her Chihuahua traits. I AM in love with her though =)
I'm not saying these choices don't work out, but sometimes they don't and they end up in shelters (sometimes this is where they came from in the first place).

I want to guide people in the right direction; I want to help them make selections based on their current lifestyle. I know that my selections for myself will be completely different now than they will be in say, 30 years. The more information I can gather about a persons lifestyle, personality, interests, what they want in a dog/don't want in a dog...the better I can guide them.

So, here are just some of the things that I would ask someone...Now, I stick with purebreds and I stick with standards and what is the "norm" for that breed...if the person is planning on going to a shelter and finding a dog they need to keep in mind what they are and are not looking for as each dog that is now an adult is going to have a personality all ready rolling...I also ask that you include things like what kind of coat you're looking for (min. shedding, no shedding, etc.), the personality you're looking for, traits you could and could not put up with on a regular basis, etc. Also, there are always "foreign" breeds that many have not heard of, if you're interested in me including these more rare types I'd like to know that as well...I don't know what kind of money people are looking to spend on a dog...so I like to include what I can.
- Why do you want a dog? I state this as "Purpose"
- What traits must your dog have?
- What traits must they not have?
- I ask questions about the home life because I want people to think about how long they are gone on an average day, if they have someone in their life that could watch the dog while away. I like to know about the people that are living in the home or the people that frequent the home.
- I want to know how much time you plan on spending with the dog during the day
- I like to know how you spend your weekends and the seasons (winter/summer)
- I like to find out about the house you're living in and the yard you have
- I like to find out about the other pets that may be living in your home or if you plan on adding.
- I like to find out your history with dogs and what training you might be interested in doing (I try to stress the importance of at least basic obedience for EVERY breed).

i will have to try it someday for fun. lol
but i would just like to say one thing... my sister owns a English Bulldog and let me say, he is NOT a lazy dog at all! he runs around the house all the time banging into walls! he is really a crazy funny dog. ;) LOL

He sounds hilarious! I guess I should have gone into a bit more detail - right now I take long walks every day and a lot of Bulldogs aren't up for that physically. Not to say every Bulldog wont want to go on long walks, but not many are going to want to do 2 - 3 miles a day.

Okay. I see. Believe it or not I asked a lot of the same things as a humane society volunteer to make sure people who had no business with, say, a Border Collie, ended up with more dog than they could handle. It saved us a lot of bounces.That pretty much satisfied my curiosity. Thanks. :)

You're welcome:thumbsup:

I had a friend who was all about getting an Aussie...I told her straight up that this was NOT the breed for her...then she wanted a Corgie...and I asked her why the heck she wanted all of these herding breeds...
She never answered me, she never discussed other breeds with me...she will be one of those people to go out and get a "cute little Aussie" and not do $%*& with it...then it will chew up her expensive 4 post bed, her new shoes, etc. and all I'll be able to do is say "I freakin' told you...and now what are you going to do with this dog?" She couldn't even handle owning a rat!!! Guess who ended up with that?? Me.

This is the kind of nonsense I want to prevent.

Just to be clear, what you are doing is really the exact opposite of what the Meet Your Match program is designed to do. MYM tries to get people away from focusing on a specific breed, and it encourages them to focus on the dog or cat with the right personality/lifestyle for them. MYM gives each dog/cat a "rating" and then each family gets a "rating" in order to best match the family with the animal. The rating for the animal is based on 8ish (I'd have to go grab my paperwork) "tests" for animal behavior. Is is a fantastic program and helps people pick the right pet based on lifestyle rather than breed or color, since we all know even within breed there is huge variation in personalities.

Breed consulting isn't something that just came out of nowhere. The ASPCA does something very similar to this...its called "Meet Your Match" the difference here is that you're being matched with a dog in a shelter. Most people who come to me are looking for a dog they can get either as a puppy (in most cases) or a breed they can be looking for in shelters and rescues. I base it on the research that I have either done or am doing on different breeds. Meet Your Match might pair you with a dog that is not something I would recommend, BUT they are basing it on the temperament of the dog in the shelter...and in almost all cases, these dogs are adults with "set ways"...
So, though what I do is a bit different, the circumstances behind each is also different.

Just to be clear, what you are doing is really the exact opposite of what the Meet Your Match program is designed to do. MYM tries to get people away from focusing on a specific breed, and it encourages them to focus on the dog or cat with the right personality/lifestyle for them. MYM gives each dog/cat a "rating" and then each family gets a "rating" in order to best match the family with the animal. The rating for the animal is based on 8ish (I'd have to go grab my paperwork) "tests" for animal behavior. Is is a fantastic program and helps people pick the right pet based on lifestyle rather than breed or color, since we all know even within breed there is huge variation in personalities.

I did not claim that it was the same, I said it was similar and I said that MYM focuses on personality more than breed. But are you going to deny that the breed doesn't play a factor in the personality at all? Of course there are variations of personality in every breed, but there are also a lot of similarities, I don't know how anyone can say otherwise. I never claimed that every Aussie is going to act like the next, but they are going to have just as many similarities as there are differences in each idividual dog. Is everyone missing the point about what I do?
I think MYM is a fantastic program, but what about the people out there that aren't looking to adopt from a shelter or rescue and are looking for a puppy from a breeder? Almost all (I would say around 90%) people that come to me are looking to get a puppy from a breeder. It is not my place to tell them to not get a dog from a breeder and go to the shelter to do the MYM program. Where they want to get a dog from is their business, I'm just trying to help guide them in an appropriate direction. I'm doing this so that people who say...(and I've said this before) live in the city in an apartment without any place to take this dog on a daily basis, don't rush out and get the cutest herding dog they can find.

I would like to go further with this and give another example:
Someone comes to me for a breed consult. Lets say one of the breeds that I gave them was a Doberman. They then tell me that they wouldn't like a Doberman puppy, they would like to Rescue. I then point them in the right direction of rescues near where they live. They contact the rescue and decide to look through the Dobermans available. The rescue, lets just say, takes part in a MYM program...they match the potential owner with a Dobe that fits their lifestyle through the rescue (taking into consideration their personality and past history).
What just happened there?
That was just a breed consult and a MYM working together...

Last edited:
My apologies for the double post here. I would like to discuss the MYM program.

This is in reference to the 6 months and older, not the puppies.

As some of you may know, the dog has been assessed and is given a color. The potential adopter then takes a quiz and is given a color also. These colors are matched with each other - its very successful.

The Canine-ality Assessment evaluates the dog's

* Friendliness and sociability
* Playfulness
* Energy level and ability to focus
* Motivation (food, people, toys, internal motivations, etc.)
* “People manners”

Dogs are given a color based on these things —either green, orange or purple.

The Dog Adopter Survey asks you a series of questions...and gives you the following choices (there are 3 levels to every color).

* Green adopters are most successful with pooches who like to be physically and mentally engaged. These dogs love to have fun and are meant to work. They are highly trainable and eager to please...they'll probably keep you on your toes. They need a lot of exercise because they have tons of energy. They go-go-go...They are intelligent, independent, clever, and confident. Sometimes they can be a bit independent, but are quick to listen to direction. - These could be a breed/mix of dogs that fit into the Sporting group, Working group, Herding group, some of the Hound group, and some of the Terrier group. You may not find too many Toys here.

* Orange adopters are a good fit with the dogs who live a relaxed lifestyle...who need a little sweet treatment. These dogs probably naturally trusting and curious who like to play. They need a good walk every day. They love to please and have a good attitude. - These could be a breed/mix of some of the Working group, the Hound group, the Terrier group...probably a few Toys. Maybe some older Herding as well.

* Purple adopters are comfortable with canines who have a laid-back attitude and prefer an easygoing lifestyle. These are the dogs that take life easy, might love to be a lap dog/couch potato, doesn't need long walks. These dogs might also just want to sit by your feet and be a devoted companion to you. You'll also run into the people pleasing dogs here, the ones who loooove to learn -
This could include some Hounds, some Terriers, and the Toy group. Also, there are quite a few in the Working group (probably the XL dogs) who would probably be glad to be a part of the Purple group! Not just that, but quite a few Senior dogs would probably be a part of this group.

Now I'm not saying this is EXACTLY how its going to be, but a majority of the breeds you're going to find associated with these colors fit in with breed groups. This could really vary if the dog is now a Senior...and with some of the XL breeds. I repeat, I am not saying that these breeds are only restricted to these groups, it all depends on the age and the training and the personality, but more often than not you'll find these breeds in these groups.

When you go off to pick a dog you don’t have to choose one whose color matches yours—love at first sight does happen, but being informed at least prepares you for the way the dog you pick will respond when you bring it home.

Just for the heck of it, I did the IAMS selector too, and found essentially what you did. Some were a good choice (Lab, Basset hound, and both types of Corgi) and some made me wonder what question I answered wrong (Jap. Chin? Aussie Shepherd? Pomeranian?!?! What the heck?).

The selector, and others like it I assume, leaves out a couple of very important considerations in thinking about what dog is right for your situation. Example: noise level. One of the "best" matches for me was Pomeranian. Sorry, what? I've never met a Pom that wasn't a 10 pound ball of fluff that never stops barking. My neighbors would kill me, or the dog, and the barking would drive me nuts too. It also asked about weather conditions, but seemed to completely ignore my answer of "cold winters, hot summers" when it suggested Chinese Crested, Min Pin, and Pug for somebody living in the Snow Belt. Without knowing if someone has air conditioning or is willing to buy fussy little sweaters for their animal and spot train them indoors, those breeds aren't necessarily the best choice for owners in this area either.

Out of 30 suggestions, there are only about 6 I would even remotely consider, which leads me to think choosing a dog is something that should be left to an educated human, not a computer algorithm, but I'd like to try Meet Your Match, too, just to compare. Anyone have a link to it?

I think the Iams test is flawed also because there are not enough considerations and questions. However, I think many people still are picking the wrong breeds for themself. We had a very elderly couple come in with a very active lab puppy recently at work. They love everything about the breed but failed to recognize they are not active enough for it. The puppy is out of control at 5 months and practically takes his owner's off their feet. The pup is also destroying everything in the house and they cannot keep up with it. They may not like the look of a pekingese but I think that breed is more their "speed." LOL

I see people with small children choose tiny, delicate breeds then wonder why the dog becomes nervous and skittish. I see dogs come in matted. They saw how beautiful a bichon was at a dog show and just had to have one but were not committed to the grooming.

I think if people would take the dog's personality and breed traits more into consideration more than their "wants," there would far less dogs being rehomed or worse. Pick a breed that matches your lifestyle and be honest about it.

I don't believe you can take the MYM online, I think you have to go into a shelter do it??? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyone who is interested in seeing what I have to say, let me know...even if you're not looking for a dog and just want to see if I come up with some good matches, let me know and I'll do one for you.

And in response to the elderly couple that wanted a lab. I think there is a misconception about Labs. Yes, they are wonderful dogs, but they don't reach maturity until sometimes 3...sometimes 4 years old...so what does this mean? During that period it is going to be a ball of energy that is going to require lots of attention and lots of outlets for the energy it has. To put this dog with a lower speed elderly couple? Not a good idea...and whoever did should have a talking to. LOL

The number of times I've seen an elderly person being dragged through a store by something as small as a Beagle or Schnauzer makes me wonder why anyone would think a large breed puppy is a good idea for a senior citizen. Heck, half of the labs I know *I* have a hard time slowing down, and I'm young and sturdy (and not terribly small either :err:...)

And yet, there's an older couple at our dog park who are Mom and Dad to Sparkle: a 1 year old Great Pyr. . They purposely got a big dog because of the shorter lifespan common in giant breeds, since they're both over 70 and didn't want to miss half of their dog's life if they pass away in the next decade. The difference is, they put her in puppy classes at 14 weeks old (though she'd already knocked Mom over by then) and have kept her in training ever since. They're pretty much devoted to her, and they've got an amazing companion in return. Hopefully with a little help, that first couple will get the same kind of ending with their pup.

Back