Where to get Wheels

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mishellyshel

Chin Slave
In the FN thread, I saw a lot of cages had these nice wide wheels......where do you get them??
Also saw what I think is the saucer (looks like a satellite dish). what is that or what do they do on it?
Thanks. I am starting to collect all the items to put in the boys new cage and want to start ordering now.

Michelle

the saucers can also be bought on chinchillas.com I have one and never had any issues with chinchillas figuring it out...
wheels can be nice but are not necssary. some chinchillas do better without.

Chinspin is a great wheel. IMO, wheels are absolutely necessary to their health and well being.

Wheels are nice but not necessary if they were necessary a lot of people would have sick or miserable chinchillas.

Wow. No other opinion allowed? Wheels are necessary to have a happier chin. Now, if you would like to try to prove your negative, feel free. Bold print and all. BTW, a lot of people have chins less happy than they could be. How very sad.

Mine only used their wheels to sleep in, so don't be surprised if your chin doesn't use it. Some do, some don't, just depends on your chin. :))

Wow. No other opinion allowed? Wheels are necessary to have a happier chin. Now, if you would like to try to prove your negative, feel free. Bold print and all. BTW, a lot of people have chins less happy than they could be. How very sad.

I dont think that she said this to be rude, you are getting a little deffensive about nothing. I also dont think that they are necessary, they may be nice and fun for pet chinchillas, but not practical for alot of us breeders who use runs.

I am not negative I am actually a very positive and upbeat person, I do respect others opinion no one agrees all the time. My chinchillas are very happy and loved. Wheels can be dangerous for chinchillas at times. I have heard many people come on hered who had safe wheels but still had tragic accidents.

Bcareful when you do buy wheels there are many unsafe wheels out there.

I have a chinspin from qualitycage.com and it's great so far and both of my boys love it and it's super quiet.

You are allowed an opinion but you put it in an absolute which is a bad way to start out. Also insinuating that because people don't have wheels their chinchillas are not as happy as they could be. Poor form. I also disagree with your statement. I have had Petra for over two years now she has never had a wheel and she exhibits all the signs of known behavior of being an incredibly happy chinchilla. If you have the time for a good playtime you don't necessarily need a wheel they are good if you don't always have the time for it or as a luxury item. And as it has been said chinchillas don't always use them or like them.

mishellyshel:

Remember to check ebay for a good deal. Just make sure it is larger than 14". 16"- 18" is what people usually recommend. Make sure it doesn't have wire tread as little toes can get caught and ripped off or a post in the center as they are bad for backs. Quality cages is the one I've been looking at but there is some one on here who makes them too for much less.

I think it is a little too extreme to say that a chinchilla will be miserable without a wheel. I know of many GREAT chinchilla owners whose chins do not have wheels, but their chins are very well taken care of and very healthy and happy. I do not see a wheel as a necessity. Just like fleece tubes, hammocks, etc. aren't necessary. All of my boys have wheels..some enjoy them, some don't. I had to restrict one of my boys from using his wheel because he was losing too much weight and he was not very hefty to begin with.

Some chins however do really like their wheels and enjoy running on them. But like I said, it's a bit too much to say a chinchilla will be miserable without one. Heck, my chins sleep more than they use the wheel.

My fiancee' is a sheet metal union worker and I was thinking of having him try and make one similar to the specs online for the larger one. Has anyone else made their own?

We are building a HUGE cage, complete with a little alcove on each side for sleeping and plenty of space for a wheel. I just wish my two boys would get along so I only had to buy/make one!!

They are very easy (and fairly cheap) to make. I used to use the metal feed pans (or cookie tins from christmas) and a lazy susan bearing. I've also used sliding glass door (metal) wheel bearings which are quieter but require a drill press for the holes.

I know chins can be very happy without a wheel. I have a few wheels, but obviously not one for all 100+ chins, it is just really not possible unless I could make my own, and I could never do that! My chins get playpen time, they get scritches, they get love. They are not in runs either. I have bigger cages than runs are, and breed only in pairs or trios. They all get houses, shelves, hammocks, etc. I have never had any one say that I have unhappy chinchillas. Never. Quite the opposite actually. People love my animals and are always shocked at how calm and friendly they are. I have wheels for my colonies, but that is it. Hedgehogs need wheels, chins really don't need wheels. It is just an extra, IMO.

Latest posts

Back