Where the Chin Sleeps

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colt

I have a 4x4 story cage for my new 4 month old boy chinchilla. I have a little hut thing in there so he can sleep in, it's next to his food bowls on the bottom, but he choose to sleep out in the open and not care, I've only had him since last night but he seems pretty cool with me. I'm not sure if I should care if he is hiding or not?

I wouldnt worry. They usually like to be up as high as possible. Some chins will hide while others would rather be out in the open.

I got a house on the bottom and all they use it for is chewing it up :D they sleep in the middle of their cage behind their tunnel and after platime they fall asleep on the hughest shelf :D

i find Rhino often sprawled out on a shelf out in the open, snoozing away without a care in the world. my theory is, if they aren't hiding when snoozing, they are very comfortable with their environment.

my boys all have houses and pretty much only 1 or 2 of them sleep IN it. some sleep on top, some next to. those who have the bigger tubes sleep in them mostly.
and dont worry sometimes they change their mind and decide to sleep in a whole different location!

Of my four, only one uses the house for sleeping. And it's only occasionally. Usually they just like sleeping on the shelfs or hammocks..

My girls wil either snooze in their hammocks or in the corner of the top shelf. I keep a blanket on top of their cages and I make sure the top shelf is as dark as I can get it. Sometimes, after the morning outside the cage time, my older one will flop down on her side and stretch out like a dog and sleep. My other chinnie, if I arrange the shelves vertically close together, will crawl between the two, roll over on her back, feet in the air, and sleep. She looks silly but seems quite comfortable, like a chinchilla sandwich.

I had a hidey house for chi chi on the bottom of the cage and she never slept in it. She would take the top off then she chewed all four corners so it fell apart. I got her a new one and put it on the top shelf because i read they rather sleep up high and she still never slept in it or even hide just chewed up. She likes to sleep on the shelves. But i got her fleece tunnel and she LOVES her tunnel. she is always in it

I've bought three different houses for my chinchilla, but he's refused to sleep in any of them. I just accepted this as fate. :rolleyes:

Right now he has a wooden one in there and he likes to sit on top of it and chill. :] He prefers sleeping on the highest shelf, out in the open. Like some others said, I think if a chin sleeps out like that, he's comfortable.

they not ulike alot of people. Some cant sleep with a cover, some can only sleep with one, i no some ppl that cant be in bed with socks on, others that will enver take em off. Would imagin chins to be the same way in general.

That being said, 5 out of my 5 chins always sleep in their hut every night. However theris is a large hut. (the full size of a FN cage shelf) And also has a nice fleece pillow to fill the inside.

One of my boys likes to take his daytime nap stretched out in the hut while the other sprawls on the middle shelf. but at night wheen they are resting, they normally are both on the middle shelf(which is right in front of the door

Latest posts

Back