Where do you Scritch?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where do you Scritch your Chin(s)?

• Under the Chin

Votes: 52 66.7%
  • On the Belly/Chest

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • On Top of the Head

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • Behind/Under the Ears

Votes: 48 61.5%
  • On the Back

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • My Chin Doesn't Like Scritches

Votes: 8 10.3%

• Total voters

Chin_Up_Sunshine

Chinnie Paparazzi
My boys are discovering scritches! They sort of have to be "convinced" to be scritched ("HEY what are you...Oh...oh, that feels quite nice), but as I discover the best scritch spots, I wondered:
Where do you Scritch?

The overwhelming favorite here is the spot where jaw meets neck. The two that will let me pet/touch do the squinty "ooooh, good spot" face every time. Crash likes his chin rubbed, but not so much the armpits, but YouBe seems fond of armpit scritches and less so under the chin.

I agree with Dawn - my guys love all over scritches! Marble will be leaning into side scritches so much sometimes that she'll nearly fall off of her perch without even caring.

The ones who will allow it seem to love their under the jaw and behind the ear scritches. I have one ebony who seriously melts the second a finger touches his jawline.

I have one that will let me pet her where ever I want to pet her, but if it goes on for too long than I might possibly lose a finger. Depends on her mood, but she's always in for under the chin scritches.

I have a chin here called Gzifa who demands scritches when she is out for a run - I get interrupted on the laptop by a small furry beasty tugging on my sleeve - that's my summons for a full body scrub. She loves being scrubbed all over, quite roughly, & also loves having her jaw, ears, head, & chest thoroughly scritched.
Once she has had enough she will wander off but then she'll bounce the length of the bed for round 2....3......4......5 :p

I usually start behind/ under the ears and my one chinnie is hilarious..he moves all around until I swear I've scritched his whole upper body haha.

i have a couple that dont like when you touch their head and most dont like when i try & scritch in the back part. i get a couple who will stand up an demand some other parts scritched and they make the cute squinty face! love it.

Tribble and Tia are discovering scritches and they love it-- most of the time. LOL. Chichi dosen't like it. She doesn't like to be touched, other than the occasional petting. :p

As long as I don't palm or full on pet her rump I'm required to use both hands and scritch everywhere! She'll even turn herself to expose whatever area she want's scritched the most. If I do a good job, I may even be groomed in return. ;)

I've noticed my boys both agree with the chin/behind ears scritches, and one occasionally spreads his arms for belly scritches, but both boys make the squinty face and then after a bit push me away or sort of "nibble" in a way similar to the grooming nibbles while I'm scritching. I stop when they push me away, but I don't know if the nibbles are similar to a dog licking when they like it, or if they want me to stop. Thoughts? I love the squinty face so much and I'm hoping I can keep giving them scritches.

Ever since having to do handfeedings and belly rubs a couple weeks ago, mine want scritches on their chest and bellies. If I go for their head they turn and squirm and touch me with their teeth.

I've noticed my boys both agree with the chin/behind ears scritches, and one occasionally spreads his arms for belly scritches, but both boys make the squinty face and then after a bit push me away or sort of "nibble" in a way similar to the grooming nibbles while I'm scritching. I stop when they push me away, but I don't know if the nibbles are similar to a dog licking when they like it, or if they want me to stop. Thoughts? I love the squinty face so much and I'm hoping I can keep giving them scritches.

Generally that's thought to be a mutual grooming behavior. Grooming is often a bonding activity with herd/family group animals (like horses, chimps, and chins in the wild), so it's also a sign of acceptance and trust when your chin does that soft nibble at your hand/arm/foot/whatever. Ime, when a chin doesn't want to be touched and you don't respond to being 'shoved' away, they'll bite down and release (or bulldog if they're really annoyed) rather than a quick series of nips/nibbles.

Jinx likes neck/jawline scritches... in fact, that's the only place I can touch her (she's my mom's chin) - if I have my hand in the cage and I'm not scritching, I get sprayed.

My others don't seem to care much for scritches. Hmm. Except for Shimmy! She loves her head/cheeks scratched and she really starts making those heaven faces when you scritch her hard.

Generally that's thought to be a mutual grooming behavior. Grooming is often a bonding activity with herd/family group animals (like horses, chimps, and chins in the wild), so it's also a sign of acceptance and trust when your chin does that soft nibble at your hand/arm/foot/whatever. Ime, when a chin doesn't want to be touched and you don't respond to being 'shoved' away, they'll bite down and release (or bulldog if they're really annoyed) rather than a quick series of nips/nibbles.
That's what I thought it was, but wanted to run it by those wiser than myself. Thank you!

Mine like scritches everywhere! It seems the favorite is behind the ears though.

Annabelle likes it all over as well. She'll wiggle into a position that shows us where she wants the attention. The magic spot seems to be by her jaw, on her neck, though.:thumbsup:

Back