Where do you put your chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evelyn

Other than bedroom...

I put him in the living room because our bedroom is too small to put his cage in. So I always with him in the daytime but not the nighttime. Now I feel like j bother him since I want to play with him when he wants to sleep and leave him alone when he wants to play. I do get him out for playtime every night 15 mins at least though. And I have been doing this for almost a year now but lately (I may be paranoid) I feel like he looks sad.. Even though he doesn't stop eating or anything and very exciting during playtime. Do anyone have the same situation like me??

I used to keep mine in the livingroom. However, during the summer it was impossible to keep the room cool enough for her. So now she lives in my bedroom. I also would let her out nightly but I'm insanely busy with work right now. So Shell is let out at least everyother day for about an hour (sometimes less). She's fine with it. I change chews everyother day and her hanging toy once a week so she does not get bored.

Mine is in the living room as well. I am out there during the day, TV on, and my dogs coming and going. It doesn't seem to bother him at all. If I see him awake I will play with him for a few minutes. Towards the end of the evening he gets pretty active and I have a good time watching him. I also take him out in the evening for playtime and while I clean his cage. Usually I am up until 1am so he does get a lot of attention.

Overnight he is on his own playing and listening to the radio. I do get up once or twice a night to let the dog out. (She is older and goes out a lot) While the dog is out I interact with Chinny for a few mins.

He seems to be a happy chin. I am sure yours is too :) Maybe if you think he seems bored or sad you could get him a few new toys or chews and rotate them so there is something different every night to play with?

we are very informal here, and our dining room only gets used a couple of times a year. We sit and eat meals in the living room. So my chin's cage and attached playpen are in the dining room.

Our house is very active and noisy, and I think Tinkerbell is entertained by it all. She has adapted well to circus life, lol.

Mine are all in my living room. My kids are in school during the day, so I'm here with just the baby. They get plenty of day time sleep with no one here to bother them. Even on weekends, though, when everyone is home, they don't seem to be bothered by our daily living.

Mine is in my kitchen (waaaay across the room from the oven - its a big open plan area) right next to my computer (it always sounds weird when I say I keep the computer, next to the chinchilla in the kitchen :wacko: but I know what I mean!) she comes out every other day in the lounge or dining room for about an hour and a half or until she looks like she wants to go back. she was coming out every day but she wasn't enjoying it and now its every other day she's really active and happy when she's out (her new trick is climbing the christmas tree :rolleyes:)

I have chins at both parents house, at my moms I have chins in my bedroom and at my dad's we have chins in the kitchen just because it's spacious and oddly it's the one of the coldest rooms in the house (besides the icky basement) and it's a low traffic area during the day so they can sleep.

Mine is in my kitchen (waaaay across the room from the oven - its a big open plan area) right next to my computer (it always sounds weird when I say I keep the computer, next to the chinchilla in the kitchen :wacko: but I know what I mean!)

Just a word of caution, be sure you clean out the inside of your tower if you have one once and a while, especailly the fan! I used to have mine upstairs and they basicly killed my computer by clogging it up so it over heated. I took it in and the guy asked me what kind of wild animals I had around the house to cause this type of build up.

Now Mine got moved to the basement, they have their own room right next to the laundry room. Its almost a constant 58-62 degrees depending on the weather. I was worried about it getting too cold, but it hasnt gone lower than 58 (The room is only half insulated)

Last edited:
My boys have been in almost every room of my house!
they were in the bedroom, moved to the tv room, a couple were in the kitchen for a bit but now they are all together in my finished, airconditioned, has a 2nd kitchen basement!
even my piggie is down there!

My Chins are in what I call the "animal room." It's the "utility room" I guess it would really be considered. It's a unfinished room connected to my bedroom. My bedroom is the largest room in the house. I check on them several times throughout the day. In 2 hour shifts (the boys get 2 hours & the girls get 2 hours) of playtime in the basement hallway. They seem to really enjoy bouncing up and down the stairs.

I live in a studio apartment so he's kind of... just there along with the other critters. I keep him on the linoleum by the kitchen area so I don't have to vacuum every day. If I cook or it gets hot I just roll him to the other side of the apartment- his cage is on wheels.

I have 2 dogs and three cats so my chinnies have their own room, behind a locked door. Howl has his own three story cage and the girls also have a 3 story with a wheel. The room is chin proof and has a space heater and air conditioner to regulate temperature. It has a wooden floor so its easy to clean up.

Mine started out in the bedroom, but only for quarantine, and then they went to the living room and now they are in the dining room. I am hoping to get the garage converted eventually though, or when I turn the back porch into a room, they may be in there. Of course I will be running ventilation and cooling/heating to both areas so it will be safe for the chins and piggies.

I have all of mine in my second bedroom, along with all of my Kittie's stuff. It's fun to watch her amazed at them. :) But she's afraid of them when they are out of the cages. lol.

My two chins are in our livingroom. Tv doesn't seem to bother them, but when we had last year Christmas party we had to bring them to our bedroom but they didn't like it. We have greandchildren who are to small to play with our them. We let them out twice a week and they love it. Kelly loves to be on the sofe with my husband and she jumps all over him but she goes back to her "house" without a problem. Sammy is little shy and doesn't want to be touch. I hope he will get use to us.

Latest posts

Back