Where can I buy a big playpen?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im looking to get a large playpen that i can set up outside out my chinnys cage to make playtime easier than going all the way upstairs which means going past two dogs... So where can I get a big playpen to set up for a daily playtime?

Honestly, I can't throw anything away so I have a bunch of broken down cardboard boxes for moving. I took all the ones with the same width and cut them to make one long panel. I drilled holes and zip tied the flaps together. You could just poke holes with a pen or something if you don't have anything as fancy as a drill, it was just easy for me. I would have nightmares if I had to pay $50-100 for a playpen but that's me I'm weird with money.

mine aren't actually all the same size, but close enough. I just make sure they're a decent height when set up and watch my chin closely cause I know it's a matter of time before she jumps out and I can't catch her before she runs around the house amok heh.

Check this out, it's what I have for my rats: http://martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/

First item on the page. I have the large one. Since it has a latching lid, they can't get out, and others can't get in. And you can remove the lid to sit in their with them. The big plus is it folds completely flat.

If you don't want to build it, I'd say look on CL or ebay. A lot of times the expansion kits are cheaper to buy than the playpen, too. I like stuff with a cover, though because you'd have to buy something wicked tall so chins can't jump out.

Yea well craigslist up by me has nothing unfortunately but ill check ebay
I just want something big enough that i can sit in there with my little guy but not need to go across the house and have him get all freaked out by the dogs

Edit: I checked ebay i can get a nice one for like $70
Just seach playpen in the pet section

Last edited:
I got mine from petco for about $30. It's the same one Jenn has on here and we both love them. I bought the cover with mine too and it was $15.

Search playpen on the forum and you'll see multiple threads about it....... search.

I have a dog playpen that works great, except that when Ivan was around he couldn't go in it because he was so small, and Mork still can't go in it because he's still young. But Rodya and Sonya can't escape.
The one I got was $60, which I figured was worth it so that my chins didn't escape. They can't jump over it, but they do try to climb up it. It's so large that I can sit in there with them, great for bonding time. Also, you can make different shapes so if you wanted to put him in the hallway, you can make a loong thin shape, or the living room a hexagon or a big square. Sometimes I use it as a barricade across a room and let them have half the room to play in. It's really great. Folds up, lightweight, doesn't look bad.

Sorry I tend to rave about the things I love :p But I really do recommend the dog play pen if you have the money. The longer the better, you don't really need one that's really tall. Mine is I think 2.5-3 feet tall?

Hope this helped!

:)

I had been using thin plywood to block off my hallways (hubbies in construction so I have tons of it) but it is heavy and bulky. I went to a box factory and picked up a huge piece of corrugated cardboard (48x83) for $3. I needed the height because Bonnie is a jumper. This huge piece blocks off the hallway and wraps around to block off the stairs too. I'm thinking of going back and getting more to build a playpen. I had bought a dog pen at first but didn't like the price and was afraid the chins could still get out or jump out.

flooring in playpens

Ok, so I still want to turn my daughter's room into a "chin room". There is carpet of the floor. What do you put on the floors of your playpens? I have a large tarp, but I don't like the noise it makes and I don't think the chins will either. I thought about buying a very cheap linoleum and placing it over the rug but hubbie thinks and furniture I put down will poke through. Bonnie uses a litter box, but Clyde goes wherever (that's a guy for you!). Suggestions????

Back