When to try to pet?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprinceton

Hi everybody,
My name is Sarah and I just joined this forum. :D
I got 2 chinchillas from a previous owner about a month and a half ago. They're Aurora and Belle and they're so cute :D
I was just wondering when to try to pet them? Whenever I try they get annoyed or keep running away (not scared, just not interested.) They will hop all over me when I'm sitting down, and they'll run over to investigate when I put my hands out (probably looking for treats, heh), and they'll even touch my nose with theirs when I stick it in the cage! So they're fairly comfortable with me.
How often should I try and pet them? I don't want to do it so often they stop liking me or my hands, but not so infrequently that they never get used to it.
Also, how often should I try and pick them up? I know it depends on the chinchilla and some will never like it, but I would like to get them to at least tolerate it and stop squirming so I can oil their feet, check them out for any wounds if I need to, or just know that I can hold them if I need to. (Plus it would be great if one of them started to like it! :D :D)

Thanks!

Pet them whenever you feel like it. If they don't want you to, they will move away. They obviously are fine with you since they are using you like a human jungle gym, so don't worry too much about them not liking you.

Just curious, but why would you oil their feet? If you mean Bag balm, I have only used that on one chin in 14 years. It's not something you have to do all the time.

Pet them whenever you feel like it. If they don't want you to, they will move away. They obviously are fine with you since they are using you like a human jungle gym, so don't worry too much about them not liking you.

Just curious, but why would you oil their feet? If you mean Bag balm, I have only used that on one chin in 14 years. It's not something you have to do all the time.

Oh, we have chinchillas in an animal class I go to and we oil their feet with baby oil every once in a while, so they don't get too dry or crack. The owner I got them from also told me to oil their feet about once a month. Is this unnecessary?

I have had ZZ for 11 years and Marble for 10 and have never had to put anything on their feet.

How often are they in their dust bath? If they are being dusted too frequently it could lead to dry skin and feet.

I have had ZZ for 11 years and Marble for 10 and have never had to put anything on their feet.

How often are they in their dust bath? If they are being dusted too frequently it could lead to dry skin and feet.

I give them their dust bath usually every other day or sometimes I wait 2 days. Every time I try to wait longer they seem to get all dirty. Their feet seem okay so far, I just thought I had to put baby oil on.

As I said, in over 14 years I have used bag balm on one chin's feet and it was a rescue who had issues. I don't put anything on their feet.

Putting oil/bag balm on their feet too much can do more harm than good. They need their natural callous to protect their feet, similar to the pads of dogs. Putting the oil/bag balm on their feet needlessly makes them too soft and more prone to cuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting oil/bag balm on their feet too much can do more harm than good. They need their natural callous to protect their feet, similar to the pads of dogs. Putting the oil/bag balm on their feet needlessly makes them too soft and more prone to cuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone! I was just about to run out and buy some baby oil! I'm glad to know I don't have to put any on their feet.

Back