When to give treats?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jinggles

Hi guys, so I just got a new chin a couple weeks ago and I have read that giving treats to your chin should be given to like once or twice a week. And I am no sure that is true but I don't know. So on average how many treats go you give a week. sorry my thread is so long I just want my chin to be safe and health thx guys!:pillowfight:

First let me say Congrats on your new baby and your thread is not long at all. Second, as far as how often to give treats that depends. Some people give 1 every days, others 3 a week, some once a week, some once a month and some never. You'll get different answers.

Defiantly no more than 1 healthy treat a day. Shredded Wheat, Rosehips, etc... are all good treats. Again no treats are always better but we all like to spoil our babies.

The general opinion is NO treats until six months old because they need to get all their nutrients from their food to grow. I stuck by that and my boy is happy and content with willow sticks and rose hips. I usually only give one treat maybe three times a week. Their stomachs are small and they really only need pellets and hay.

You can also give a chin a apple twig as a treat, they can have as many of those they want. Young chins guts are not fully populated with bacteria until around 6 months old, so that is another reason they get nothing but hay and pellets-it can cause issues with digestion.

Thxs for all your help. My chin(Leo) is a bit older than 6 months it think I will give some apple sticks then go from there. once again thxs!!!:pillowfight:

Back