When re-homing a chinchilla...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmilyLiliLove

SassyChinchillasRescue
When you re-home a chinchilla, or any other pet, make sure you see what they will be housed in.

I had a chin that needed a new home and a lady contacted me. we had talked and she seemed to know her stuff. I did however make it a requirement that I see the cage BEFORE they take the chin, as i do with any i re-home. If i don't agree that the cage is the right fit for the pet i won't sell till they get the right type of cage. She happily sent me this picture of the intended cage for my chin.
-----> http://www.pinterest.com/emilylililove/ehhh/ <-----
(i uploaded it to pinterest because i have had issues with pics)
I was HORRIFIED! how can you think this is OK for a chinchilla if you have done research?!?!?! I could not in my right mind let her get a chin from me. I told her she needed a better cage and she told me she would just get a chin elsewhere. I feel so bad for any chin she buys. :(

So again, please make sure you make sure they have decent housing for your pet!

Did you explain they need tons of ventilation and air flow to be healthy? I get a lot of people who want to keep chins in tanks to contain the mess (which we can all understand) but once I take the time to explain why they can not safely/healthily live in a tank they go get appropriate cages.

Is that a reptile cage?
Yes i believe it is.

Did you explain they need tons of ventilation and air flow to be healthy? I get a lot of people who want to keep chins in tanks to contain the mess (which we can all understand) but once I take the time to explain why they can not safely/healthily live in a tank they go get appropriate cages.

I tried to explain to her all of my concerns BUT she didn't care. she wanted what she wanted. even called me a few choice words. I even told her i felt bad but its not a good cage and i did it as politely as possible but some people just want what they want and they think they know best. its sad they put that above the health and happiness of an animal.

I made postings on several craigslists all over saying exactly this:

When you re-home a pet, make sure you see what they will be housed in and/or the yard. Make sure they have supplies, if you aren't including them with the pet. ASK QUESTIONS! Make sure they know about the animal because each animal has special care needs. Don't just give them to the first person that responds. When I re-home pets sometimes I go through 10, 15, 20+ people before I find the right match. I also make sure they have a plan for the animals if it doesn't work out so they don't just end up neglected or handed off to a person that can't care for them. All too often people get animals because they're "cute" or they look fun and they know NOTHING about them. This leads to not taking proper care of the animal. Then these pets end up unhappy, sick and in the worst case scenario, dead. The pets that live, some end up in shelters or rescues, they either ending up staying there with no home or some find forever homes but not all do. Then some people find it OK to let the pet free outside, most times this is certain death as they cannot fend for themselves.
All I am trying to say is, please make sure when you re-home your pets, they only go to GOOD homes not ones that don't have the first clue about them.

I have now been threatened, harassed and flagged (posting got taken down). BUT only from one of the places. Milwaukee. i don't know why but its ONLY from there. The other places i posted i have gotten thanked and told to keep up the good work. I wonder why it's just Milwaukee... This posting doesn't go against ANY rules on CL either but it still got flagged and only after an hour of it being up. How sad! :(

My rescue has an application and part of that is sending a cage pic. We don't approve until the cage is set up correctly and we know they are ready for a chin. Of course people can go elsewhere but we do our best to make sure the chins are adopted to their final home.

Yikes! Some pet owners are deluded and don't care enough to take the minimum amount of time to learn basics. It's upsetting.

odds are now she will just lie

it's sad that if she receives one, she probably will, it will either die or get sick and abandoned. it's scary to think of but it will happen if she wants one bad enough she will get it. Like at the pet shops you don't have to prove any knowledge or type of cage or anything and i honestly think it's wrong.

Yikes.

Horrible cage for a chin. >.< it may not even survive in there...
I hope she listens & doesn't really put a chin in there! ):

When you do rescue or breed, once that chin leaves your care all bets are off-people lie like rugs to get a chin and after there is not one thing you can do about it. Be in this rescue industry long and you will become jaded, you can't help it. 10 years was enough for me, I quit 4 years ago and frankly am happy not to deal with the scum bag owners anymore. I am happy just to spoil my pets.

When you do rescue or breed, once that chin leaves your care all bets are off-people lie like rugs to get a chin and after there is not one thing you can do about it. Be in this rescue industry long and you will become jaded, you can't help it. 10 years was enough for me, I quit 4 years ago and frankly am happy not to deal with the scum bag owners anymore. I am happy just to spoil my pets.

Anytime i re-home a pet the person getting said pet MUST sign an adoption form.

Yikes.

Horrible cage for a chin. >.< it may not even survive in there...
I hope she listens & doesn't really put a chin in there! ):

The problem is that pet stores keep their chins in tiny cages or aquariums so people think it's ok.

It just makes me :cry3:

there is only one pet store around here i trust anymore. it's a single person trying to do good. they research before they buy and they never get plastic anything for he cages.

Anytime i re-home a pet the person getting said pet MUST sign an adoption form.

The adoption forms are worth the paper they are written on and scum bag owners know it. Animals are property so to enforce a agreement you need to go to superior court and use a lawyer, small claims court does not do specific performance cases I:E you need to give the animal back, its the way it is so if you don't have money to actually hire a lawyer and take them to court, the adoption form will only be a feel good form.

The adoption forms are worth the paper they are written on and scum bag owners know it. Animals are property so to enforce a agreement you need to go to superior court and use a lawyer, small claims court does not do specific performance cases I:E you need to give the animal back, its the way it is so if you don't have money to actually hire a lawyer and take them to court, the adoption form will only be a feel good form.

I actually do have a lawyer and he wrote the contract. Also in the contract if i need to take them to court THEY have to pay any and all fees.

Latest posts

Back