When is mom too old to breed?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodysChinchillas

<- Pooper Scooper
I have a female, beige chinchilla who is 4 years old. I want to breed her eventually (within the next year) but I don't know if she's too old to start breeding now. She's never been bred before, but I feel like she would be a rather good mom. She has no health problems and is pedigreed so I'm not worried about that side of it. Just wondering if I would need to get another, younger female to start breeding.

It doesn't matter whether she's too old to breed, she most likely won't. Chins of that age rarely take. I have had a few, but not many.

You really won't know until you put her with a male. I haven't had good luck with putting older, unproven females in breeding, myself.

Depends a lot on your female, the male she is paired with, your set up, and luck. I have had fairly good luck getting older non-breeder females to breed in colonies with proven males. But it definitely doesn't work every time.

Back