when do you cross the line?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemarie

I had Benny for a month now. he lets me pet him but he doesnt let me hold him. (well i haven't tried that much) when i try he's very good about it he allows me to grab him but when i try taking him out of the cage he starts squirming and freaking out. so i put him back down and give him a piece of shredded wheat and talk to him. I guess the problem I'm having is that I dont want to cross that line where he wont trust me anymore. or i'm ruining his trust.

I hate that i dont give him play time as much as i want to but he doesnt go back into the carrier anymore when i transport him back and forth.

My little sister that is 5, really wants to meet benny. but i dont want to introduce her to him if I cant take him out of the cage.

Is there anything i can do? I know i need patience, I just want to know if I'm doing this right.

Well, by rewarding him after he squirms, you may just be reinforcing bad behavior. He should only get treats when he's done something good, like letting you pet him, balancing on your arms, or going back to his cage on his own. Leave your arms in his cage at the same time every day and and let him investigate you. When he does something good, encourage it with a little piece of rosehip. Then he'll learn to associate the treat with the behavior.

I only grab my chins when I'm going to the vet, and even then I still give them the option of jumping into the carrier on their own first. Chins really just don't like being grabbed. It's good to get them used to it for emergencies, but it's better (especially in the beginning) if you allow them to take whatever time they need to come to you. Patience is definitely necessary, as their prey instincts are incredibly strong.

When he's out for playtime, you can always use his dust house to transport him back home. Eventually, he'll become wise to your ways, but it's great for starters.

Don't put him down when he starts squirming. Just continue on with taking him out of the cage. You will traumatize him. If you put him down, you are teaching him to squirm and wiggle in order to get put back.

I just scoop mine up. Gizmo will kack at me but she's fine once I have her. I pet, skritch and talk to them while holding them close. I also skritch and pet them in their cages during feeding time or when I'm cleaning their cages in the evening. A couple times a day, I will just open the 2 doors on the upper level and put my arms in or cross my arms and let them explore and climb on me while standing close to the cage so that they still feel secure and can always just go back in. They never go in and out of the cage on their own or in a carry. I always take them out by hand.

My chin hates being held, she will kack and run away as soon as she sees me going to pick her up. Maybe you can put a carrier to his door and let him go in when he wants, then reward him with a small treat. That's how I got my chin to trust going on my arm, now everyday she jumps on my arm to come out and runs up my shoulder waiting to be pet.

You can carry him in his dust bath too, but I think a carrier would do the job once you got him comfortable with it.

The more often you pick him up, the more they will get used to it. Most don't like being held, and will try to squirm. I agree you are treating him for doing what you dont want him to do, instead, give him the treat outside of the cage, if at all. Remember you learned by repetition, so will your chinnie :D

Latest posts

Back