When chinchillas are bonded and in a cage together do they play and interact?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnneMarie

Or is it more that they just live their own lives nearby? I was wondering this. And if they do play, is it beneficial to have a same sex buddy? Or do they tend to have issues with their buddy later on? I was told that they are fine on their own, but do they like having as playmate?

Yes a bonded pair will interact, they will sleep, eat, and play together, and groom each other. Unless you are emotionally and financially prepared to breed then you want a same sex pair, even if just together for playtime breeding can literally take seconds or less, too fast for you to separate. You can have one of them neutered but personally I think it's a bad idea, the operation is risky since they have to be put under and can include lots of post op care and complications. There is really no telling if they will get along forever or not, it's kind of like people, just because two people are friends doesn't mean they will be forever. Also unless they are already a bonded pair then there is no guarantee putting two chins together that they will even be friends in the first place, some chin's just don't like company in the cage. I have however had chins that live in separate cages that enjoy having playtime with each other, and living next to but not with each other.

I don't want to breed at all. I'm leaning toward a single chin but I still wonder if maybe I should get two at the same time. Would that be a good idea? But breeding will never be on the agenda. I read the horror stories section and I couldn't handle it. It would hurt me too badly to see my baby suffer if something went wrong, knowing it was my fault for breeding her. Couldn't do it! lol Thank you for the info!

If you are going to want a pair eventually it's normally a lot easier to get an already bonded pair to start with then to try to do intros later since you don't have to deal with quarantine and possible rejection. Though as I said before they can eventually decide to not want to be cage mates so if you do get two you need to have room to have 2 cages or have the ability to split the cage like you can with a double Ferret or Critter Nation. It really is cute watching a pair cuddle together and groom each other, but that can be looked at as affection they aren't giving you, a single chin will be looking only to you for love and affection which can be nice.

I decided to only get one. If I ever get another I will keep a separate cage. I saw some horrifying pictures of what one chinchilla did to his cagemate that he had been fine with for months and...it scared me so bad! lol Thank you so much for the information. I appreciate it. =)

A single chin can live a full and happy life if you provide it with quality attention. This doesn't mean that you have to have long out of cage play times. Get your chin a wheel, either a Chin Spin, Silver Surfer or a Flying Saucer.

If you spend time interacting with it, you can build a very strong bond and your company will be enough. If you get a male, you might want to get him a Cuddle Buddy to snuggle. Annie at ChinChic makes awesome ones!!!

chinchic.bigcartel.com

Good luck!!!

Last edited:
Thank you! I am ordering a metal flying saucer. I'm not positive how to get him to use it though, will he just know? I will get a cuddle buddy too! Thanks!

Single or same sex pair is fine. But if you go for the latter, better to try and buy a pair already bonded by the breeder or at least starting off having met prior to being put in the cage to avoid territorial fighting. Single chins do fine though so long as you interact with it. All mine always figure out how to use the metal Flying Saucer. Just give them time.

Thank you! I can't wait to get my wheel. I watched a couple videos of chins running on them and it looks so sweet. I love their ears and big fluffy tails and little tiny hands...I could probably go on forever, but they look cute when they run.

Back