Wheels that won't rust?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tacotac

I wondered if there is a wheel that exists that is made with non rusting parts, as they get cleaned so often. Or at least one that can be disassembled by chance?

Larry's Carolina storm wheels don't rust, except for the bearings which can be easily replaced.

I have a wheel that came with one of my rehomes and it had no metal parts whatever. The wheel ran on a piece of small plastic tube.

If you are using a bucket style wheel, so long as you don't get the bearings wet, they shouldn't rust. I have a wheel here that is still in use that is nearing 12 years old now. Its on its 2nd set of bearings. I made the mistake and got the first set wet.

What type are you using now, and where is it rusting?

They are the Pvc bucket ones I got at a hedgie show. I wonder how people can soak these things without getting them to rust. My hedgies not only poop, but pee, which drips in the inner wall & onto the bearings as well, so they need to be cleaned.

My bearings get soaked every time I wash. With so many wheels to clean, I don't have the time to pamper them. lol I have some bearings that were from my girls roller blades when they were young and have been used in the wheels for 8 years and are still fine. I have others that rust after a few months use.

You can also gob vaseline on the bearings to protect it from water. I put a gob of vaseline on it then shoot the hair dryer at it and spin and the vaseline will run into the bearing. It helps protect it.

Back