Wheel

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose

Moose
I wasn't sure where to post this at, but because I am a newer mom and do not have A LOT of experience with toys, I was wondering how to I introduce Bardock (my chin) to his wheel.

It IS plastic, which I've heard is not a good type of thing to give to a chin, but he hasn't chewed on it...but I don't think he knows how to use it...

Is there something I can do help him learn to use it...or does he just have to figure it out for himself?
moose

The plastic wheels are not recommended because they aren't strong enough to stand up to a chinchilla running full out on it for any length of time and none of them have a large enough diameter for them to run comfortably on it. The smaller diameter of the plastic wheels will contort their spines, causing major health problems. NONE of the plastic wheels are good for chinchillas...and it's not just the worry of them chewing the plastic. That's a minimal concern in my opinion.

RCR (Sarah) has a few metal flying saucer wheels for sale for $65 which includes shipping. It's a good price for a good wheel that is safe and will last you a long time. So he needs either a chin spin, silver surfer/grape escape or a flying saucer. If you get the chin spin, ask for it without the powder coating, they are having problems with their powder coating.

When I first got Chichi, I bought one of those plastic wheels at the petstore because I didn't know any better. She was a year old and never had a wheel before. She didn't know what it was. She had two kits (which was unexpected, didn't know she was housed with a male) and the kits actually started using the plastic wheel during playtime, much to my surprise! Chichi actually learned from her kits how to use the wheel- imagine that!!! I am going to be purchasing two good quality wheels- either the flying saucer or Chinspin. You want to invest in a good wheel, because they don't sell wheels at the petstore big enough for a full sized chinchilla.

Here is a link for the chinspin: http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=129_142_143_144&products_id=1802

You will see it is 15 inches, I don't believe any of those plastic wheels are that big. As RDZ said, make sure to ask for it without the plastic coating.

Good luck!

So I just received a Flying saucer, the metal one that is like $75 new....I put a few oats on it to get Millie intrigued by it, and within literally 20 minutes she was on it and jumping off, but getting back on trying to figure it out. Within a total of 40 minutes, she had figured it out and absolutely LOVES it! Now she worries me, bc I don't want her to overdo herself! She is too cute on it, and I am so glad she loves it! Last night I opened her cage door for her playtime, and she came out for a few minutes but then back in her cage and preferred to play on her wheel!!! Best money I have spent, besides getting Millie from the HSPCA!!!!!

I bought one of those plastic wheels in the beginning. I paid like $30 + for one of those silent spinners. Yeah, Wilson broke it in 5 days from running so hard on it, and he was only 4 months old at the time! I returned it and made a metal one myself until I can purchase a silver surfer.

Latest posts

Back