Wheel Noise: Chin Spin or Saucer?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillerKoala

I'm looking into buying a wheel for my new chin and wanted to know which wheel is the quieter one between the chin spin and the flying saucer. I've had hamsters before and plenty of bad experiences with loud wheels in my bedroom.

Also, what wheel size would you recommend? I'll be getting a young female -- not sure if there is a difference in gender size.

Thanks for your help!

All wheels are going to make noise, some louder then others. My chins cage is in my bed room, but the noise from her wheel isn't too bad.

The smallest size wheel is 15". How young is your chin? I would wait until she's around 6 months before you get her a wheel.

This is the wheel i have. Two actually. One for my boys, and one for my girls. They are a metal flying saucer.

I can say from my use of them, they are pretty quite. With a few extra of the U shaped pieces that are used to attach it to the cage walls, i imagine it would be even more quite. But iv never had to do that. In all honesty, the chins them selves make more noise running around in side the cage then they do on the wheel.

Benefits of these wheels are a chin can reach full extension when running. And they can do that with out a round curve to their spine. The metal will last forever. And even if something should happen where it doesn't spin or really noisy spinning, you only have to replace the bearing which is really simple to do (and cheap). (Mine also came with an extra bearing). They are really simple to put together, but none the less, it still came fully assembled when i got min.

I personally have two sizes. One Large, and one medium. They both work. Tho i like the larger one better. It really depends on the cage and just how much room you have to use for the wheel. This is one of the wheels i have. Momma Sophie taking a nap on it after a long day of dealing with her kits lol.

Down sides: Really only the price. Iv had mine for several years, and thats the only thing i can come up with.

Standard (medium) is US$74.95 and Large is US$83.95. Plus shipping. So its a hefty initial cost. The upside of that tho, is the wheel should last for life. And they cant chew it. Of course you can always try to find someone on line selling their wheel at a discount. (Thats how i ended up with a medium for a 2nd wheel). And should you ever find yourself not in need of it, i would imagin you would have no problem selling it.

When I pick her up she'll be 10 weeks. I realize a kit shouldn't have one, but I was just curious for future reference.

I like my silver surfer wheel the most. http://www.chinchillas.com/estore/detail.aspx?ID=106

All of my chin spins, which I have had for several years now, need bearings replaced, have powder coating peeling off, and I am just unhappy with them. My flying saucer is okay, but I have to wedge a wood block beneath the arm to keep it quiet. I have had the silver surfer for over a year now and still no problems. It is the quietest out of all of them. Any wheel is going to cause the cage bars to rattle a bit, though.

I have the flying saucer and like Stacie mentioned above, I have a block of wood under the arm of mine to stabilize it more which keeps it quieter. Otherwise, I'm very happy with it.

Definitely the Flying Saucer. I have 15 of them, if that says anything. The Silver Surfer is off balance, wobbly and the bearing can't be replaced. Hate those.

I like my silver surfer wheel the most. http://www.chinchillas.com/estore/detail.aspx?ID=106

All of my chin spins, which I have had for several years now, need bearings replaced, have powder coating peeling off, and I am just unhappy with them. My flying saucer is okay, but I have to wedge a wood block beneath the arm to keep it quiet. I have had the silver surfer for over a year now and still no problems. It is the quietest out of all of them. Any wheel is going to cause the cage bars to rattle a bit, though.

I had a wheel similar to that when i first took in my first chin. It was horrible. He chewed that thing down to a fine powder. It didn't spin well either. I also hated the circular aspect of it. Keep his spine at a really bad arch.
I don't no about that^^ one that she mentioned specifically, but i hope its a lot better then the one i had.

I have the flying saucer and like Stacie mentioned above, I have a block of wood under the arm of mine to stabilize it more which keeps it quieter. Otherwise, I'm very happy with it.

Even tho my flying saucer came with the block of wood, i honestly don't think it makes much of a difference in terms of noise because its pretty quite to begin with. I just keep putting it in their cause its a tight fit and it gives something for them to mess around with. Fun watching them try to pull it out lol.

You hated the circular aspect of the wheel? Chin spins are circular too, as are many other wheels.....? It depends on their size. The wheel is large enough to not cause a bad running posture. I have had my silver surfer over a year with no bearing problems..one of my chin spins had to have bearings replaced after 6 months. There are a few chew marks but they left it at that once they figured out they couldn't chew it. Not sure what your wheel was made out of that it could be chewed to a powder, but these are solid powder coated aluminum. Many other people here use them as well with no problems.

This thread can help with some of the alignment/wobbly issues http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27929&highlight=silver+surfer

Last edited:
You hated the circular aspect of the wheel? Chin spins are circular too, as are many other wheels.....? It depends on their size. The wheel is large enough to not cause a bad running posture.

Well thats good. Most of the ones iv personally seen were so small it forced such bad posture.

I have had my silver surfer over a year with no bearing problems..one of my chin spins had to have bearings replaced after 6 months. There are a few chew marks but they left it at that once they figured out they couldn't chew it. Not sure what your wheel was made out of that it could be chewed to a powder, but these are solid powder coated aluminum. Many other people here use them as well with no problems.

This thread can help with some of the alignment/wobbly issues http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27929&highlight=silver+surfer

Glad to hear. The kind i had issues with came with my chin when i took him in. So I'm not sure the exact type it was.

Back