What's your experience using Uhaul furniture pads?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teppi

Hello everyone,

I used Zorb fabric for my first batch of cage liners. They work really well, and I can go perhaps a week before needing to change them out. Which is good because I only do laundry on the weekends :) I think it was a total cost of $95 for the Zorb with shipping from Amazon, and I got (8) liners for my FN out of that 8YD shipment.

So, while I'm quite happy with the performance of Zorb, I need to find a cheaper alternative. Now I'm looking into the Uhaul furniture pads. When I averaged out the cost between the two materials, the Zorb cost $1.70/sq.ft. while the furniture pads cost only $0.16/sq.ft.

I'm wondering if any of the DIY'ers in this community have used the Uhaul blankets for the absorbent layer of their fleece cage liners? I like that they are made out of recycled denim... just wondering about how absorbent and how resistant to odors they are. Not to mention how they hold up to multiple washes!

My thanks in advance for any information you could provide.

Teppi, Taro & Toby

You can check us out on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/tobyandtaro/

I don't have any experience with the uhaul pads but I wouldn't use them if the chins have the ability to even possibly get to them. They are made of recycled fabric so it could have something dangerous on them, plus denim is not a chin safe fabric. Honestly zorb sounds very risky to use, unless it's where the chins can't every possibly get to it, it says it's super absorbent so that would no question cause a blockage and/or serious issue if swallowed. Fleece is the only chin safe fabric (and only if not eaten), it doesn't shred like other fabric so you can remove it before they chew up too much. Personally I just use 3 layers thick of fleece for my liners, that way if they do chew through one layer it's just more fleece under it, nothing dangerous.

Thanks for the honest response Amethyst...

I was browsing Etsy and other websites to look at all the cage accessories out there, and that's how I was introduced to the idea of using Zorb or Uhaul pads. Zorb is the absorbent layer that people use when making homemade cloth diapers.

Luckily, my boys do not chew on fleece. I have it all over their cage. Pillows, hammocks, tube covers, etc. The Zorb is the inner layer (fleece on both outer sides) of the floor liners I make to fit inside the Bass pans. It's kind of a stiff fabric compared to fleece, and I like the structure it gives to the liners. They lay nice and flat, don't crinkle up or move about easily.

I think I will give the third layer of fleece method a try though. Would definitely be more economical!

I don't have any experience with the uhaul pads but I wouldn't use them if the chins have the ability to even possibly get to them. They are made of recycled fabric so it could have something dangerous on them, plus denim is not a chin safe fabric. Honestly zorb sounds very risky to use, unless it's where the chins can't every possibly get to it, it says it's super absorbent so that would no question cause a blockage and/or serious issue if swallowed. Fleece is the only chin safe fabric (and only if not eaten), it doesn't shred like other fabric so you can remove it before they chew up too much. Personally I just use 3 layers thick of fleece for my liners, that way if they do chew through one layer it's just more fleece under it, nothing dangerous.

Latest posts

Back