What's at the bottom of your cage??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wood with tile glued down (as a few of you know - I'm a huge tiled-cage advocate!) Both my girls are pretty much litter-trained, so I use tile and a Pyrex pan of bedding :))

Shiloh has a plastic pan covered with a fleece liner. Glass dish with pine bedding on top shelf of cage. Trio has the same except glass dish sits on the floor.

Macy, Chase, Gizmo, & MaveRick have liners that lay in the cage with glass litter pans on the bottom as well.

Tucker has shavings usually. Sometimes I give him a liner but take it when I notice him chewing on it. He just recently started chewing holes in his liners. Not his fleece tubes, hammock, or house. Just his liner. Not sure why.

plastic pan (I was weary at first because I was afraid he would start chewing the plastic and was planning on covering it with fleece, but my chin has shown absolutely no interest in chewing it at all. Luckily he focuses on his wooden shelves and chew toys instead :dance3: .) and I use aspen shavings

Wire bottom covered in fleece and newspaper in the plastic pan under the wire, out of reach for the chins of course.

I've begun to do fleece on the top floor over a bass pan, then shavings in the bottom pan of the cage. My boys are piggies and pee all over their fleece! They seem to do it less so with the bottom pan full of shavings though ;)

Plastic tray, with wood bedding. Trying to decide if I want to switch to fleece liners once I run out of bedding. Do you guys have more than one fleece liner, so that when you are washing one, you just switch it out with another one? I'm also a little worried about the smell.

Plastic tray, with wood bedding. Trying to decide if I want to switch to fleece liners once I run out of bedding. Do you guys have more than one fleece liner, so that when you are washing one, you just switch it out with another one? I'm also a little worried about the smell.

I have about 6 sets. 3 for each cage. I swap them out once a week. More if they start to smell.

I have heard of people sewing a towel in the middle of 2 fleece layers so that it absorbs more? Is that a good or bad idea? Also, do you have little ties or anything to hold it down? or do you just lay it flat on the bottom?

Sewing in a towel is up to you. Mine don't have towels. There are no ties holding down the liners. I just lay them down on the pans. I do have a glass baking dish filled with shavings on each level.

I have done that. The other problem is the actual sewing it in. The towel constantly caught on the foot and thus I had to use another strip of fleece on top just to reduce snagging.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Ok so I don't know if anyone really cares anymore, but I made those liners, and this is what I did...
I basically sewed a towel in between 2 layers of fleece, then sewed another piece of fleece on top of that, then flipped it inside out to make a pillowcase so that the pan could slip inside. Then one side is longer so that it can tuck under the pan to keep it closed.

Here's a picture.
liner1.jpg

liner2.jpg

i've currently got a fleece liner and potty bowl with shavings in it for my boys, but i think today i'm going to just put shavings down on the cage floor instead. lil buggers have totally forgotten that they are supposed to be litter trained and have been peeing everywhere! lol.

Latest posts

Back