What's a good size for a chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahKay

Mother of Zeb and Roo
Okay, I know I probably should have done this before now but I located a gram scale (non-electric so it was a bit of an experience trying to see if the chins would stay still) and weighed my chins. They're both healthy males and what I got weight-wise seems way on the low end to me compared to all of those beautiful dense show chinchillas.
My 3.5 year old male looks to be 520 or 530 grams and my boy who turns 1 year old September 2nd (!) is right around 500.
They're very healthy and happy boys so I don't think their size is a problem, but I just wanted to know, what's a good average weight? My boys have a CnH approved diet so I'm certainly not starving them but how do they fit in with the rest of the chin population? Thanks for reading! :thumbsup:

All chins are made different...just like people. My girls are all around 550g (one is closer to 600g) and in terms of size for chins that is a *bit* on the small size, but they are very healthy and happy PETS so it's no biggie. The time to really be concerned with weight & particularly size is for breeding. As long as your chin is healthy, being a bit on the small side is nothing to worry about. I did recently change their diet to Tradition and they each gained about 25g since the switch :) I have heard of healthy chins sometimes being EXTRA small, around 400g, but still healthy.

Yeah, there's no way I could ever show either of my boys since they are of parentage unknown to me. Thank you for the answer! It's good to hear.

Actually, any chin can be shown, but a lot of chins should not be bred.

Oh, and they are on the small side, but as long as they are healthy, there is nothing to worry about.

My boys will never be bred. :)
I might look into it way down the road when I'm a more experienced chinchilla owner and have different chins but I wouldn't put my boys up to fatherhood.

Latest posts

Back