What wood to use to build a sleep hut

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marie5656

Chinchilla slave
I want to get a new wood sleep house for Trixie. Rick told me that a friend of his would build her one, no charge except for the wood. I am just wondering if I were to go to Home Depot and buy some un finished boards, would they be OK, allowing that she willbe chewing on it? Rick told me his friend can make it with no glue or nails. Thanks for any info.

Marie, yes you can go to Home Depot. Look for the kiln dried pine. That's safe, and if you want a super duty house that takes longer for them to chew threw, polar is another safe wood!

Most use non toxic wood glue to hold their houses together.

You can use Kiln Dried Pine sold at Home Depot or Lowe's. Its inexpensive and safe. Just make sure that you check that the cut end of the wood is stamped "KD-HT" (code for Kiln Dried Heat Treated) because the folks in the orange aprons probably won't know what you are talking about if you ask them (at least around here they don't).

Poplar is also safe, and harder than pine so will hold up longer, but its more expensive.

Also, Elmer's wood glue is non-toxic and can be used.

Latest posts

Back